Thursday, February 11, 2010

Black Bean Veggie Burger


I am trying to introduce more non-meat meals into our diet and in my research I came across about a dozen black bean burger recipes. I was thinking that was a great place to start because we love black beans. I compared all the recipes I found and this one stood out because it seemed the easiest. I didnt have time for soaking, and lots of weird ingredients I would never use again. And almost everything I have made from this blog has been some of my favorite new dishes. So if you are looking for something different, or you just want to have a new non-meat meal in your arsenal......

Black Bean Veggie Burgers
borrowed from
Dinners for a year and Beyond

makes 6 4-inch burgers or 18 sliders
****WW Points Plus 4 points each****

2 tablespoons olive oil plus additional for cooking the burgers
1 cup corn----I used frozen and
didnt defrost it
2 cups mushrooms, finely chopped---I omitted because I
dont eat the fungus
2 scallions, finely chopped
2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
1 teaspoon cumin
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 cup spinach, chopped
1 carrot, peeled and grated
1 potato, peeled and grated
1 15-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed - mash 3/4 of the can and leave the remaining beans whole
salt
pepper
1/2 cup
panko
whole wheat buns
mini potato rolls
any burger toppings you like - these would be good with guacamole or
chipotle mayo

Directions
In a large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil and add corn, mushrooms, and scallions.
Cook for about 5 - 7 minutes until softened.
Add garlic, cumin and cayenne pepper and cook for 1 minute.
Add the spinach, carrot, and potato and cook for 4 - 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Remove for the heat and add the mashed and whole beans and the panko.
Stir to combine.
Season with salt and pepper.
Shape into burger or slider sized patties and place on a large platter.
Heat a good drizzle of olive oil in a skillet and cook burgers until golden brown and crispy on each side.
Serve on a bun, eat it plain, they are great just about any way you would like them.

VERDICT
I fought for the one left over!!! I absolutely loved this burger. It isnt a beef burger but since we are all trying to be healthier this is an awesome way to go. I ate the leftover with diced fresh tomatoes and avocado wrapped inside a tortilla. Now I am curious to try one in a restaurant and see if they can do better, since I am not scared of them anymore. This is going into regular rotation in our house. Loved this meal!!!!

5 comments:

  1. danielle (ilovedave)March 5, 2010 at 6:36 PM

    These look delish!! I just made up the mix but we're not going to have them tonight. Do you think I should form the patties before putting them in the fridge or can I form them later? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would form them into patties first so that when you go to make them they will be nice and firm. I actually put mine in the fridge for about a 1/2 hour before I cook them and it helps them stay together. I love these burgers and I hope you do too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Most veggie burgers in restaurants are COMPLETE disappointments... don't even bother. Just enjoy the ones you can make at home! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Did you use fresh spinach or frozen for these? I am dying to try them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I use fresh and then try to use the rest of the bag for something else. You could go to the salad bar section of your grocery store and get a cup of it too. I think it adds more flavor using the fresh. These are so delicious you will want to make them again right away

    ReplyDelete