Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Crockpot Carne Asada

Every year we have a family vacation to the Outer Banks
If you check the history of the blog, I always record the meals I make so I dont forget them and its a little snap shot for me to know if they worked as a meal for a large group. We are a large group and every year we seem to grow.
I love to practice cooking for a large group BUT, it sucks when its gorgeous out, and you just want to be at the beach. Instead you have to shop, prepare, cook for 10 Adults (sometimes 13), 4-5 kids with 2 more infants who will be looking to eat "real" food soon. All that in a kitchen were you have no clue what to expect. Sometimes its stocked and sometimes its NOT.
So I am a freak and I prepare and practice at home. It helps it go smoother, I can figure out what I can delegate to be handled by my husband sous chef, and I can work out the timing so I can get it all done in roughly 2 hours. I also bring a bunch of kitchen tools from home. I know I am a freak, but embrace it and move on.
One boring Saturday I sat down and decided on another repeat Mexican fiesta. I found the sombreros from 7 years ago in the attic and I know the kids will have fun with it.
So game on, time to practice and perfect!



INGREDIENTS:

3 pounds flank steak

MARINADE:

1/3 cup white vinegar

1/2 cup soy sauce

4 cloves garlic, minced

2 limes, juiced

1/2 cup olive oil

1 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon ground black pepper

1 teaspoon ground white pepper

1 teaspoon garlic powder

1 teaspoon chili powder

1 teaspoon dried oregano

1 teaspoon ground cumin

1 teaspoon paprika

TO SERVE:

1 (32 ounce) package corn tortillas

2 cups grated cotija cheese (optional)

2 limes, cut into wedge

My Quick Avocado mix—recipe to follow


DIRECTIONS:

Lay the flank steak in a large glass baking dish. In a medium bowl, whisk together the vinegar, soy sauce, 4 cloves of garlic, juice of two limes, and olive oil. Season with salt, black pepper, white pepper, garlic powder, chili powder, oregano, cumin and paprika. Whisk until well blended, then pour over the steak in the dish. Turn over once to coat both sides. Cover with plastic wrap, and marinate overnight.

Next day, pour the entire contents into the Slow Cooker and cook for 3-4 hours on low. Drain meat , Shred and serve on tortillas

NOTE: I cooked it too long (I think it was 6 hours on low). It was slightly dry, and I think I need to use a little fattier of a cut of meat next time, and to make double that batch it would be more cost effective to use a cheaper cut. The flavor was awesome…..I mean AWESOME, just need to check the cooking time next time. It was originally supposed to be grilled, but I never like to rely on the grills in rental homes, and I am using my grill pans for chicken already so the crockpot seems a logical solution….and because I don’t need pack and plays, high chairs, and all that baby stuff I can bring my crockpot 8 hours J

My Quick Avocado Mix Recipe:

I make this all the time and throw it on top of lots of recipes, tacos, burritos, anything really. I know it could be better, fancier and have more things but it’s fresh, easy and yum.

1 Avocado smashed

2 Roma Tomatoes seeded and chopped

¼ tsp. garlic powder

¼ tsp salt

juice of ½ lime

No comments:

Post a Comment