Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Tortellini Spinach Salad with Balsamic-Tomato Vinaigrette

I love me a good hearty salad. I actually make most of the salads in the archives quite often. There is something so great about homemade dressings and all the fresh ingredients coming together in a big bowl of love. So with summer upon us check out my collection of salads. This one is right at the top and its a great place to start. The picture is eh....I have to work on my salad pictures. Once you mix the dressing it, they dont look so great :)
Tortellini Spinach Salad with Balsamic Tomato Vinaigrette
borrowed from My Kitchen Cafe
Salad:
20 ounce package refrigerated cheese tortellini
1 (14.5 oz.) can quartered artichokes
1 (9 oz.) bag fresh baby spinach
1 (3 oz.) bag sun dried tomatoes or jar of sun dried tomatoes, rinsed and drained
1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
¼ cup diced red onion

Dressing:
9 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 ½ teaspoons dried oregano
1 ½ tablespoon tomato paste
Salt and pepper to taste (about 1/8 teaspoon each)
3/4 cup olive oil

Cook tortellini in boiling water until al dente. Drain and toss with a teaspoon of olive oil to keep from sticking. Let cool in colander. In a large bowl, toss all the salad ingredients together after the pasta has cooled.

In a blender add all of the dressing ingredients except for the olive oil and process until smooth. Then, while the blender is running, slowly add the olive oil and blend until completely combined. If serving the salad right away, immediately pour the dressing over the salad and toss well (you may not need all the dressing). Serve.


VERDICT

This is a MUST for all your salad needs. I did throw in some grilled chicken to make it a total and complete meal but you could easily leave it out. The dressing was awesome, the mixture of the salad was perfection and I was so happy we had left overs. This should be a take along to your next BBQ get together, if you invite me to yours maybe I will bring it.

No comments:

Post a Comment