Wednesday, August 5, 2009

OBX Dinner-2009 Entree

When I first made these burgers it was a test run. On vacation we all take responsibility to cook one dinner. This year I was determined to make it simple. I will post the other recipes I made with these burgers in a later post and if you put them all together you will have a really nice spread for a large hungry group. In this picture for my test run I used sour cream and cheddar. When I made them for the family I used Monteray jack and guacamole


Southwestern Turkey Burgers
Bon appetite July 2003

1 1/2 pounds ground turkey –I used a 20 ozs package and it made 5 good sized burgers
1/2 cup finely crushed tortilla chips (crushed in resealable plastic bag with mallet)
6 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper

Oil grill rack. Prepare barbecue (medium-high heat). Combine turkey, crushed chips, 4 tablespoons cilantro, chili powder, salt, cumin, and pepper in large bowl. Using fork, mix together. Form 5 patties, each about 3 1/2 inches in diameter.

When I made them the 2nd time I made 20 burgers so I made them into meatballs 1st so I could make them all about the same size. I also laid the 1st batch on foil lined baking sheets and put the cheese on them and broiled them until it melted. This also kept them warm while the 2nd batch was grilling.


Verdict:
These are really tasty. Both times I made them I think I tend to over cook them a bit because raw turkey scares me, especially when I know my Hungry boy Jackson will be eating them. On vacation when I made these I used 2 grill pans instead of an outdoor grill so I could cook 10 burgers at a time and that worked really well. I like that you serve them in a tortilla instead of on a roll. Who needs all that bread and if you can get the good Mission tortillas with the extra grams of fiber its an even healthier burger. Even though I found this recipe for part of a themeish type dinner it will be kept in my repeat file because it was really good, and it was a nice change.

No comments:

Post a Comment