Thursday, August 6, 2009

OBX Dinner-2009 Side Dishes

  • Ok so I am ALMOST caught up with my blogging....well really I am a full week behind which I don't really like. I keep talking to some of my "followers" hehehehe! About things I made for dinner this week and when asked if I wrote about it, sadly the answer is not yet. But at least since I have a week of recipes cooked, eaten and blogged about it takes the self imposed pressure of me to do a write up nightly. So this is the last installment of the OBX fiesta I cooked for the family.


    A very colorful side dish to the burger….


Corn, Tomato, and Avocado Salad

from Lauren's Kitchen
Makes about 4 side dish servings
**I doubled it for a crowd of 13**

INGREDIENTS
10 ozs frozen corn, thawed completely
1 pint cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
2 scallions, thinly sliced1 avocado, diced
2 tablespoons lime juice
1 tablespoon good quality olive oil
kosher salt and coarse ground black pepper, to taste

Directions
Combine corn, tomatoes, scallions in large bowl.
Whisk together lime juice, olive oil, salt, and pepper and pour over vegetables.
Chill for 1-4 hours.
When ready to serve, add gently fold in avocado and allow salad to come to room temperature. Season again with salt and pepper if needed.

VERDICT
Great salad. Really light, colorful and flavorful. You will make this one again and again and it’s a go to dish to bring to someone’s house too because its room temperature, easy to throw together AND It is so good I cant imagine anyone not liking it, but I could see everyone asking you the recipe for it.

This is one of the other sides I made with the tex-mex turkey burgers.


Wagon Wheel Taco Pasta Salad-
borrowed from Cara’s Cravings

INGREDIENTS
1lb wagon wheel pasta ** I used mini wheels**
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 10oz package frozen corn (I don't even bother thawing it, because I always make this at least a few hours before serving, so it plenty of time to defrost)
2 medium tomatoes, seeded and diced
8oz shredded Mexican-blend cheese
1 1/2 cups salsa
1/2 cup olive oil
3-4 tbsp lime juice
1 tbsp cumin
1-2 tsp chili powder
2 garlic cloves, minced
freshly ground salt & pepper
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1 avocado, diced ** I used 2**


Cook the pasta al dente according to package directions. Drain and rinse with cold water.In a large bowl, combine the black beans, corn, tomatoes, salsa, and cheese. Add the cooled pasta and mix well.In another bowl, whisk together the olive oil, lime juice, garlic, cumin and chili powder. Pour over the pasta salad, add the cilantro, and mix well. Season to taste with salt & pepper.Just before serving, stir in the diced avocado.

VERDICT
Really easy, really flavorful, Really colorful, will make again for sure. It was great leftover the next day too since we had so much leftover, we all ate it for lunch and still ended up throwing some out. I liked all the mexicany ingredients and this pasta salad fit with the rest of the dishes beautifully.

and last but not least.......


I have to apologize I didn't take this picture, I borrowed it from the website because I didn't make this salad, my sous chef Douglas did and I didn't get a chance to take a picture.



Spicy Mexican Salad
Borrowed from Allrecipes.com


INGREDIENTS
1 (10 ounce) package chopped romaine lettuce
1 1/2 cups shredded Cheddar and Monterey cheese blend
1 (15 ounce) can pinto beans, drained
1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
2 tomatoes, chopped
1 (16 ounce) package corn chips-crushed
1 (16 ounce) bottle Catalina salad dressing

DIRECTIONS
In a large bowl, combine the romaine, cheese, pinto beans, black beans, and tomatoes.
Add the corn chips and enough dressing to coat; toss and serve.

VERDICT
Ok so you might be looking at this recipe thinking why on earth would I make this salad it seems kind of unsophisticated and kind of gross. OK so you might think that but you would be WRONG WRONG WRONG. It is so good. I don’t know why it is, but I don’t question it I will just eat it and then ask for more. I have to apologize for not snapping a picture but it was Doug’s salad to make and I totally forgot until I was doing this entry and looked for a picture. It is a pretty color with the Catalina dressing too—so I am sorry, but that shouldn't stop you from making this yummy and east summer salad. You could easily add some grilled chicken and make it a complete meal salad.

1 comment:

  1. The corn, tomato and avocado salad is awesome! I made it before and added black beans and it was super yummy!

    ReplyDelete