Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Brunswick Stew


Yay me! 3 days--3 recipes. Not too hard. It does help that I have a few meals to write about that I made a long time ago. This particular recipe I have been making a lot. My chief taste tester aka my husband Doug loves it. Mia does too. Jackson likes the beans and the mashed potatoes I make with it. I guess that's something.
Speaking of which for those smug moms whose kids eat, dont be too sure it wont just stop one day. I used to have a great eater. I bragged about him on here and to anyone who would listen. then one day.....BAM! He decided that things look yucky and he wont eat anything. It happened just as Mia went to table food and I was making one meal for the entire family. So dont be too sure that someday your champion eater wont someday begin to turn his nose up on foods he used to cry to eat.
I purchased a glossy collection of Cooking Light recipes this week and it was so funny this recipe was in it. I have been making it for so long I had no idea where it came from. Least now I can give credit were credit is due. I wont waste time on a verdict because this is a family classic. It is really healthy, takes hardly anytime to make it,uses ingredients I usually have on hand and its really really yummy. That is all it takes to get the title Family Classic. So trust me when I say this recipe is more then worth your time. It will be added to your rotation to0

Brunswick Stew

(Serves 6)

Cooking Light

1 cup chopped red bell pepper
3/4 cup chopped yellow onion
1/2 cup chopped celery
1 tbs peanut oil
1 tbs all purpose flour
1lb skinless, boneless chicken thighs, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
2 cups fat free, less sodium chicken stock
2 tbs no-salt added tomato paste
1 tsp dried thyme
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp hot pepper sauce (like Tabasco)
1 10 oz package of frozen corn, thawed
1 10 oz package of frozen
Lima beans, thawed

bread is optional side dish. I serve it with the Ore Ida Steam and Mash Potatoes, it soaks up the yummy gravy
6 slices Italian bread, toasted
2 garlic cloves, halved

1. Heat a large dutch oven over medium-high heat. Coat pan in cooking spray, then add bell pepper, onion and celery to pan. **watch the heat on this, I tend to do this step and then chop my veggies and chicken but it isnt enough time and I end up burning the onions. I have done this more then once which is why i mention it.** Cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add oil to pan. Combine flour, salt, & pepper and then add chicken in a bowl, tossing to coat. Add chicken to pan and cook until lightly browned. Gradually stir in stock and bring to a boil. Cook for 1 minute or until slightly thickened, stirring constantly. Add tomato paste and next 5 ingredients (through to Lima beans) to pan. Cover, reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes. I take the lid off for the last 6-8 minutes just to let it thicken up even more.


2. Rub toasted bread with cut sides of garlic bread and
discard garlic. (Optional: I also like to add a bit of olive oil to the bread before rubbing the garlic, but this adds a few extra calories). Serve 1 slice of bread with each serving of stew.

No comments:

Post a Comment