Sunday, January 3, 2010

Creamed Chicken with Gnocchi



Let's me start the new year off by apologizing for my horribly lazy blogging habits. In all fairness I am not sure how I would have fit it into everything else I had on my plate....oddly enough there want much good cooking on my plate since mid-November. I threw together a lot of dinners on the fly and used most of my go to really simple meals thrown together with my pantry staples. I will blog the ones worth talking about but mostly it was nothing I was really thrilled with but it got the job done. So now I am back and I hope you will check in with me from time to time and see what I have been cooking. I am only 10 recipes away from my 100th blog and I am trying to decide what that 100th dinner should be. Something fabulous of course.

I am going to try to start the new year off with some more healthy, low fat entires too. I also found some great new blogs and cant wait to make some of the yummy recipes I have saved up.

So for my 1st blog of 2010--I give you



Creamed Chicken with Gnocchi

Borrowed from Everyday with Rachel Ray

INGREDIENTS

One 1-pound package potato gnocchi

4 tablespoons butter

1 onion, finely chopped

1 red bell pepper, chopped

12 ounces skinless, boneless chicken breast, cut into thin strips

Salt and pepper

2 tablespoons flour

1 cup half-and-half

1 cup chicken broth

2 scallions, chopped

Directions:

Cook the gnocchi according to package directions; drain.

Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons butter over medium-high heat. Add the onion and bell pepper and cook, stirring often, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the chicken and cook, stirring occasionally, until just cooked through, about 5 minutes; season with salt and pepper.

In a small saucepan, melt the remaining 2 tablespoons butter over medium heat. Whisk in the flour and cook until toasted, about 3 minutes. Whisk in the half-and-half and chicken broth; bring to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer until thickened. Whisk into the chicken mixture, then stir in the gnocchi. Bring to a simmer, then season with salt and pepper and top with the scallions.

VERDICT

I loved this recipe. it was sooooo easy. It s comfort food at its best. The kids loved it and I cant wait to make it again. I want to try it with the half and half next time but it was honestly nice and creamy using just whole milk. I really like this recipe because it uses many things I always have in the fridge and pantry so it will be a go to winter meal for this family.

1 comment: