Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Barnyard Cordon Bleu

Yes, you read that right. This recipe is called Barnyard Cordon Bleu. There is Laughing Cow cheese inside the Chicken so with all those barnyard animals I thought it was a fitting name for it. I combined 2 recipes into one because well.....I thought both were good but together would be outstanding....and yeah I was 1000% right. The original Chicken Cordon Bleu recipe is from Cooking Light so this is a surprisingly healthy version of a classic high calorie dish.

Barnyard Cordon Bleu
adapter from cooking light
Ingredients
1/4 cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
5 teaspoons butter, melted
1 large garlic clove, minced ** I used a 1/2 tsp of garlic powder
1/2 cup dry breadcrumbs **I used whole wheat
1 tablespoon grated fresh Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
1 teaspoon paprika
4 (6-ounce) skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
thin **I used the thin-sliced so I didnt have to hammer it out
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
4 thin slices low salt-ham (about 2 ounces)
4 wedges of light laughing cow cheese
Cooking spray

Preheat oven to 350°.

Place broth in a small microwave-safe bowl; microwave at high 15 seconds or until warm. Stir in butter and garlic. Combine breadcrumbs, Parmigiano-Reggiano, and paprika in a medium shallow bowl; set aside.

Sprinkle both sides of chicken with salt, oregano, and pepper. Spread the laughing cow ceese on the chicken breast. Top each breast half with 1 slice of ham. Roll up each breast half jelly-rll fashion. Dip each roll in chicken broth mixture; dredge in breadcrumb mixture. Place rolls, seam side down, (I secured with toothpicks) in an 8-inch square baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 28 minutes or until juices run clear and tops are golden.

VERDICT

I love this chicken. If you are stuck in a chicken rut, give this a try. The laughing cow cheese made it really juicy. I have made the cooking light version before but I like this version much better. Its really flavorful and so low in calories you will be shocked at the amount of flavor you get.

1 comment:

  1. I made this recipe tonight and after one bite my husband told me it was a keeper!
    So flavorful and not having to cook in oil makes it even better!
    I also opted for the garlic powder over the cloves and used panko bread crumbs instead of the wheat!
    Loved loved love this and will use again!

    ReplyDelete