Monday, November 1, 2010

Tortellini Sausage Soup


I'M BACK!!!!
I am going to say sorry I disappeared again.....
I have been making some life changes, started a new part-time career that has sucked up a lot of my free time. I have been cooking some really yummy meals and I realized if I didnt post them here they would be gone forever!!! I seldom print out the recipes I find, I just prop my laptop on the counter so if too much time goes by I loose track where, I found them.
So I am back again, hopefully I will catch up quickly--I promise not to desert you again

I am coming back with this awesome recipe...try it!!!!

Tortellini Sausage Soup borrowed from Our Best Bites

3 links Italian sausage--I use chicken and turkey sausage
4 cloves pressed garlic
1 onion, diced
½ c. water
2 cans chicken broth
½ c. apple cider (don't leave this out! I did once and it wasn't the same...)
1 16-oz. can diced tomatoes
1 8 oz. can tomato sauce
1 c. sliced carrots
1 tsp. dried basil
1 tsp. dried oregano
2 medium zucchini, grated
8-10 oz. package cheese tortellini--I like the whole wheat butoni
2 Tbsp. dried parsley (yes, that's two tablespoons)

If you're using link sausage, remove the casings and crumble into a large soup pot. To remove the casings, you can use a sharp knife to cut a slit down one side of the sausage and then peel back the casing.

Begin cooking sausage over medium heat, stirring frequently. If your sausage is pretty fatty, you'll want to drain it when it's about halfway cooked. Meanwhile, chop onions and garlic and add to the sausage. Continue cooking until onions are translucent and your sausage is cooked. Your house will smell heavenly.

Add tomatoes, tomato sauce, juice, water, chicken broth, carrots, oregano, and basil. Cover and simmer for 1/2 hour. Add parsley and zucchini and simmer for another 15 minutes or so.
Add the tortellini and cook until tender, and then serve with bread and freshly-grated Parmesan.

VERDICT
I have made this soup about 4 times in 4 weeks. I love it. I am not the hugest sausage fan either so if you are hesitant give it a try. My kids loved it. I love it. It is such a warm bowl of comfy cozy soupy love. MAKE THIS SOUP!

1 comment:

  1. I made this for dinner last night so that I could enjoy the leftovers for lunches this week. This soup is tasty, comforting, and good for you! I followed the recipe as written except I sliced my zucchini into half moons instead of grating it (I love big chunks of zucchini in soup!) and I used turkey italian sausage. Thanks for a great recipe!

    ReplyDelete