Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Caprese Rice Salad

I didnt forget about my Weight Watcherness. I did fall off the wagon over the summer, but I will get back on. I plan to go back to figuring out what the points are for my meals going forward, maybe not all.....because some I would just rather pretend they are zero points so I can truly enjoy them. This recipe was such a find. I needed a side dish and did a quick search and this one came up and I had all the things I needed sitting in my kitchen. SCORE! I loved it and will make it again for sure.


Caprese Rice Salad
borrowed from Weight Watchers
8 servings 3/4 cups
***5 WW Points Plus***

2 Tbsp olive oil, plus 1 tsp olive oil, divided

1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar

1/3 cup(s) basil, fresh, chopped

1 cup(s) cherry tomato(es), or grape tomatoes

6 oz whole milk mozzarella cheese, fresh, cut into chunks

3/4 tsp table salt

1/4 tsp black pepper

1 tsp olive oil

1 small onion(s), chopped

1 cup(s) uncooked jasmine rice (I used white)

In a large serving bowl, combine 2 tablespoons of olive oil, vinegar, basil, tomatoes, mozzarella, salt and pepper. Set aside and allow to marinate while rice cooks.


Heat remaining 1 teaspoon of olive oil in a medium pot over medium heat. Add onion and cook until softened, about 3 minutes. Add rice and 1 3/4 cups water. Bring to a boil, cover and simmer until water is absorbed, about 20 minutes.


Toss rice with tomato mixture; serve warm or at room temperature. Yields about 3/4 heaping cup per serving.


Flavor Booster: Substitute basmati rice for jasmine rice and give this salad a nutty flavor. Rich-tasting hazelnut oil can replace the olive oil, and a light dusting of finely chopped hazelnuts completes the transformation.

No comments:

Post a Comment