Thursday, September 29, 2011

Creamy Chicken Taquitos

This has been an amazing week of meals in my house thus far.....WHY you ask?
Because my kids have decided to actually eat again. Haaaahhhh!!!! It makes my night so much nicer and it just makes me happy. I hate spending time cooking something delicious only to have them turn their noses up before they give it a chance. Especially when I know they would like it. I am even OK with breaking down the meal to make it more kid friendly like I did with this meal. As long and I am not making a "kiddie meal" that just isnt as good as what I am cooking.
When I made these taquitos they happily ate the rotisserie chicken, the beans with the corn, and the rice.I am sure they would have eaten the taquitos and maybe I should have tried but it was the beginning of the week and I had no idea they would be so adventurous this week.....next time, they are mine!

I dont know if I ever mentioned one of my favorite meal time things. The Easy Lunch Box. I got them to travel with because we had long car trips coming up and I knew my kids would be eating a few meals in the car. They also love to eat snack lunches, and we have picnics in the family room all the time. I did not want to spend a fortune and these are the absolute best bentos for the money. Pack of 4 for $13.95 on amazon. The reason I thought of them is in most dinners I deconstruct the bentos come into play because they just like keeping their items separate and it makes them happy, which in turn makes me happy because they actually eat. SO yay! for the easy lunch box

Onto the reason you are here......


Creamy Chicken Taquitos
makes 12 servings

Ingredients:

3 oz. cream cheese, softened (or nuke it on 50% power for 1 minute to soften)

¼ cup salsa

1 tbsp. freshly squeezed lime juice

1 tsp. chili powder

½ tsp. cumin

½ tsp. onion powder

2 cloves garlic, minced ( I used 1 tsp. garlic powder if I dont have any)

3 tbsp. chopped cilantro

1-2 green onions, chopped ( I skip most of the time)

2 cups shredded cooked chicken

1 cup shredded Mexican cheese (Cheddar, Pepper jack, Monterey Jack,any kind of shredded cheese)

10-12 6-inch flour or corn tortillas

Cooking spray

Kosher salt

extra salsa or sour cream for dipping

Directions:

Preheat the oven to 425˚ F. Line a baking sheet with a parchment paper or foil.

In a large mixing bowl, combine the cream cheese, salsa, lime juice, spices, cilantro, green onions, chicken and shredded cheese. Mix thoroughly until well combined.

Briefly heat the 4 tortillas in the microwave to make them soft enough to roll easily, about 20-30 seconds. Place a tortilla on a work surface. Spoon 2-3 tablespoons of the filling mixture down the middle of the tortilla. Roll the tortilla up tightly around the filling. Place seam-side down on a baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining tortillas and filling, spacing the assembled taquitos evenly on the baking sheet. Spray the tops lightly with cooking spray and sprinkle with a pinch of kosher salt.

No comments:

Post a Comment