Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Mint Oreo Cookie

If you know me, you know I dont bake. I am making the effort again, mostly because home baked does taste so much better then store bought....even good store bought. I keep finding all these awesome recipes for cookies, cakes, and candy and it has me inspired. I am actually baking this year for the first time in a while. I am not going nuts but a few different kinds of cookies shouldn'y kill me. I hope :)
I made these for a cookie exchange and I loved them. Everyone in my house gobbled them up and I have to make a new batch for Christmas. They are a little time consuming, but well worth the effort I promise. And if you are only making one batch it should be much easier then 6 dozen.
They came out a bit flatter then I expected and I had wanted to roll them in candy cane dust, but I wasnt sure how much creme frosting I needed for the middle for the 6 dozen I made so I was being conservative with the amount I put between. Next time I know I will have left overs so I can make them slightly thicker.


Mint Oreo Cookies

Time: 1 hour

Yield: 30 Oreos

Recipe from Jamie Cooks It Up!

Cookie Dough:

2 boxes devils food cake mix

2 sticks melted butter

2 eggs

Frosting:

5 C powdered sugar

1/2 stick butter, softened

1/4 C milk

dash salt (just a sprinkle)

1/2 t peppermint flavoring

1 t red food coloring gel ( like them bright)

1. In a large mixing bowl (or in your Kitchen Aid Mixer) combine cookie dough ingredients. Mix for about 1 minute, or until all ingredients are incorporated.

2. Roll dough into 1 1/2 inch balls and place on a greased cookie sheet. Smash the balls down just a bit.

3. Bake the cookies at 350 for about 8 minutes. This is not an exact time. You don't want to over bake them. A cookie that isn't soft, isn't worth eating in my book. Take them out of the oven when the tops have cracked, as in the picture above. Let them finish baking while they sit on the hot cookie sheet. When the sheet is cool, you can place the cookies on a wire rack to finish cooling.

4. To make the frosting whip the butter until smooth. Mix in the powdered sugar and add the milk a little at a time. You don't want the frosting to be too runny.

5. Add the food coloring, peppermint and the salt and mix.

6. Frost the underside of a cookie and place another cookie on top.

No comments:

Post a Comment