Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Italian Chopped Salad

This was our 1st course on New Years Eve. I wanted a chopped Antipasta Salad to go with my pizza. We have a restaurant close to us that does this to perfection so I decided to give it a whirl myself, and I had amazing results. I have made this again since and man, it is such a great salad to go with pizza. I do apologize, I did not take a picture once the dressing was on it. I couldn't dress it too soon, and well once I put the dressing on I ate it! BUT the dressing is incredible too. It would be great on lots of different kinds of salads. If you don't make your own dressings, you should make that a goal for 2012. They are so much better then what you buy in the store and you can control the ingredients and the amounts of oil you put in. This is a keeper!


Chopped Antipasta Salad
by Me :)

1/2 head of iceberg lettuce
2 heads of Romaine
1 pint of grape tomatoes halved
4 ozs. of genoa salami, chopped
6 ozs. of provolone cheese, chopped
6 ozs. ham, chopped
Sprinkle with shredded Mozzarella (this didn't make the pic either)

Optional: My husband had chopped olives on his.

Note: You can use any amount of meats and cheeses you like. This was what I had so I used it.

Directions:
Chop the lettuces into small pieces, mix the rest of the ingredients in, right before you serve it, toss with this dressing:

Dijon Mustard Vinaigrette

Yields about 1 ¼ cups

Ingredients:

1 large garlic clove, pressed

1 tablespoon minced fresh shallot

2 – 3 tablespoons Dijon mustard, to taste

1 teaspoon dried oregano, rubbed

1 tablespoon fresh Italian parsley, minced

¼ teaspoon ground black pepper

¼ teaspoon kosher salt or more to taste

¼ cup + 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar

¾ cup extra-virgin olive oil, or more to taste

2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese

1 tablespoon grated Romano cheese

Directions:

2 ways to make this

Version #1-which is my method

  1. take the garlic & shallot and pulse it in my mini food processor, then add everything else except the oil, pulse for about 15 seconds.
  2. then add the oil slowly while processing
  3. then add the cheese and give it one more good pulse
  4. Refrigerate until needed, leftovers keep great!
OR the original method---

1. In a medium bowl, whisk together all ingredients except the oil and Parmesan.

2. Whisk in the olive oil in a slow steady stream until incorporated. Stir in the Parmesan and Romano cheeses

3. Refrigerate until needed.

Note: You may use 3 tablespoons Parmesan and omit the Romano cheese.

This was our pretty pizza--well it was the one I made. 1/2 chicken parm, 1/2 regular

No comments:

Post a Comment