Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Chicken with White Bean and Parmesan Baked Orzo

HOLY COW, I am almost caught up (my fingers and cramped and I am so HUNGRY!)
I am not proofing and I have no clue what I am writing anymore.
I actually ate this last night!!!!!!

I had pinned this awhile ago and never got to it for some reason, but I am so glad I did. I have big plans for this recipe and want to put a more greek spin on it. I can't wait. While I was eating it, I was writing notes so I wouldnt forget. I changed it up a bit and am so glad for the inspiration. I love the original blog. So funny, and everything I have made I have loved.
This is also a keeper because my kids ate it deconstructed and say it with me....I cooked it....they ate it....and no one complained!!!!


Chicken with White Bean and Parmesan Baked Orzo

adapted from How Sweet It Is

1 cup of regular or whole wheat orzo pasta

2 cups Shredded Cooked Chicken

2 tablespoons of olive oil

1/2 red onion, chopped

1 green pepper, chopped

3 cloves of garlic, minced

4 cups of raw spinach

1 15-ounce can of cannellini beans, drained and rinsed

3/4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese

3 tbsp. heavy cream

DIRECTIONS:

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.

Bring water to a boil and prepare pasta according to directions, lessening the cooking time by 1-2 minutes since the pasta will bake.

While pasta is cooking, heat a skillet over medium heat and add olive oil. Add onions and peppers and cook for about 3-4 minutes. Add in garlic and spinach, and stir until spinach wilts, then turn heat down to low. Add in white beans. Cook for 3-5 minutes. Drain pasta and add pasta & chicken to the mix, then toss to combine. Turn off heat, add heavy cream and half of the grated parmesan, and toss once more.

Spray a baking dish with non-stick spray. Spoon orzo mixture into the baking dish, then top with remaining cheese. Bake for 15 minutes, then if desired, broil for 1-2 minutes until cheese on top is golden.

No comments:

Post a Comment