Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Kielbasa and Bean Soup

A Polish girl finally has embraced the Kielbasa (keep it clean smut brain)
I was never a huge fan but recently I am smitten. I found some ways to eat it that dont resemble my childhood experiences with Kielbasa which left me scared. This was a great soup I threw in the pot while waiting for my hubby to come home from Wisconsin after 20 hours in a blizzard. It was a great quick bowl of yum!



Kielbasa and Bean Soup

Borrowed from Recipe Girl

***5 W Points Plus***

ingredients:

1 cup sliced carrots

1 cup chopped sweet onion

2 medium garlic cloves, minced

7 ounces turkey kielbasa halved lengthwise and cut into 1/2-inch pieces

4 cups fat-free, low-sodium chicken broth

1/2 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning

1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

1/2 teaspoon sea salt

Two 15.8-ounce cans Great Northern Beans, drained and rinsed

One 6-ounce bag fresh baby spinach leaves

directions:

Spray a large saucepan with nonstick spray and heat to medium-high heat. Add carrots, onion and garlic and cook for 3 to 4 minutes, or until the vegetables begin to soften. Add the kielbasa and sauté for 3 additional minutes, stirring occasionally. Reduce the heat to medium; cook 5 minutes. Add the broth, seasonings and beans. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.

Place 2 cups of the soup in a food processor, blender OR I use my hand blender in a big cup I have- be careful, as it will be hot! Process until smooth, then return the pureed mixture to the pan. Simmer the soup an additional 5 minutes. Remove the soup from heat and mix in the fresh spinach.

No comments:

Post a Comment