Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Slow Cooker Apple Pie Breakfast

Make this.....no really, do it
So stinking good.
I am hot and cold with oatmeal but this was really yummy and it makes a ton and we ate it a couple of mornings reheated with a little milk. You could add so many yummy things to it to make it even more hearty. You do need to figure out the ratio of liquid for your crockpot and cooking time. That was key.
I was suffering from a few weeks of insomnia so I could easily get up at 2:00 am and turn it on and stir it once or twice before I finally had to wake up for the day, and then it went to warm mode. I just needed to stir it up before serving and I added a little milk to it. It was perfect texture. You also MUST use Steel Cut Oats, the other varieties I could see breaking down too much and turning to hard slop.
So there, I made it sound so difficult and not appetizing but it was really truly great and I am going to make it again one of these days
Apple Pie Breakfast
Ingredients

- 1 cup of steel cut oats*

- 3 diced apples (I use Gala)

- 1 cup apple juice - 3 cups water

-2 tbsp. Brown Sugar (optional to lower sugar and calories, but I thought it was just enough)

- 2 tsp. cinnamon

Directions -

For Best Results: Combine all ingredients in slow cooker and cook for 2-4 hours on high or 4-6 hours on low until it reaches the consistency that you like. Be sure to stir every hour or so.

* You can also cook longer without stirring, but you have to add more water liquid and it does come out a bit mushier. Add an extra cup of liquid for 7-8 hours in the slow cooker.

No comments:

Post a Comment