Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Nanny's Goulash

Nanny's Goulash

I have to be honest I am not sure who Nanny is and I have no idea where I got this recipe from. But its a repeat recipe in our house. I like it for the following reasons
  1. Its really quick & easy to make
  2. You get meat and veggies all in one dish
  3. You only use one pan
  4. It uses all ingredients you usually have in your pantry/fridge

So for me its pretty much a home run. I serve it over mashed potatoes or rice. Tonight I cheated and used Ore Ida steam and mash potatoes. I just wasn't in the mood to peel, chop, boil or mash. They aren't as good as homemade, but close enough for me. As a side note about the steam and mashers, the sweet potatoes are much better then the regular.



INGREDIENTS
1 pound lean ground beef -I use 93% lean
1 (8 ounce) package fresh mushrooms, sliced
1 green bell pepper, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
1 red bell pepper, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
1 zucchini, thickly sliced
1 small red onion, sliced
4 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 tablespoon paprika
1/2 tablespoon dried basil
1 teaspoon garlic salt
1/2 teaspoon white pepper
1 (14.5 ounce) can whole peeled tomatoes with liquid, chopped

DIRECTIONS

In a large skillet, brown the ground beef. Remove beef with a slotted spoon and discard fat.
Return skillet to stove, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Stir in mushrooms, green and red peppers, squash, onion, paprika, basil, garlic salt, and pepper; cook for five minutes, stirring occasionally.
Reduce heat to medium. Stir in beef and tomatoes; simmer about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Changes I made: I omitted the mushrooms. Why you ask? Because I don't like Mushrooms so if they are in a recipe I don't put them in. Its kind of stupid because I know they don't really taste like anything but its my own food hang-up and I cant get past it. I also added a few splashes of Worcestershire sauce. I think it gives it a bit more pep. You could also add a few splashes of beef broth if you had it handy, some minced garlic would be good also.

Reviews: Since I have made this a bunch of times before, it gets the highest honor in my house. Its just a good comfort meal that never disappoints. It has earned the toddler seal of approval but tonight he was only interested in the mashed potatoes and eventually I made him some store bought turkey meatballs too. * I don't do this often but the birthday boy had a not so good lunch either. I was kind of insulted that he would rather eat the yucky meatballs but I wont hold it against him.


if you add a candle to mashed potatoes its a PARTY

And I felt bad that Jackson was getting all the limelight so here is Miss Amelia after she enjoyed her yummy dinner of Squash and Rice Cereal

No comments:

Post a Comment