Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Lime Chicken Tacos

I am starting to get the hang of this blog thing, but I have to say taking the photos is not my favorite part. I am so sorry they seem to be quite boring. Tonight once I started eating my blue plate special, and the pictures where taken I thought HEY, I could have put some cut limes on the plate and a margarita in the background! SO my styling of the meals need work but I promise I am just getting my feet wet and the best is yet to come. I did buy single plates and will get some more so that it adds so excitement to the pictures, or as much as you can get from a picture of food.

Tonight's meal......ahhh the crock pot. I will admit, I just really started using it more and more this year. I stumbled upon a few other blogs that had lots and lots of crock pot recipes and I even purchased a cookbook which I never used yet. When Amelia was born I had a lot less time to cook and since it was winter, the crock pot fit right in. I tried to use it at least once or twice a week to help this mamma out. I don't know the exact origins of this recipe but it is so extremely versatile. I have made quesadillas with the cooked chicken, you can use it as a filling for enchiladas, you can use it as a salad topper, it would be great over rice or rice & beans, you can add other things to it like beans or roasted veggies. For me its a staple recipe that everyone should use at least once a week because its that simple and that good!

Lime Chicken Tacos
Ingredients:
1-1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts *can also be put in frozen
3 tablespoons lime juice
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 cup frozen corn
1 cup chunky salsa
12 flour tortillas (6 inches)
*Optional
Sour cream, shredded cheddar cheese and shredded lettuce, mango chunks, green onion


Directions:
Place the chicken in a 3-qt. slow cooker ( I use a giant 6 qt one and its fine). Combine lime juice and chili powder; pour over chicken. Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours or until chicken is tender. Remove chicken; cool slightly. Shred and return to the slow cooker. Stir in corn and salsa. Cover and cook on low for 30 minutes or until heated through. Serve in tortillas with sour cream, cheese and lettuce if desired.
Makes: 12 tacos.

CONFESSION: Oopsie! I didn't read the directions this afternoon I literally looked at the ingredients and threw it all in the crock pot at once and set it on high for 3 hours (because it was 2pm and I forgot I was making this recipe tonight oopsie! again). They came out perfect so you can follow the directions as is, or just throw it in and forget about it.

VERDICT: Obviously we all love this recipe. Jackson ate some with rice so it earned the toddler seal of approval, but he barely made a dent in the bowl.....ahh toddlers.

No comments:

Post a Comment