Thursday, June 18, 2009

Almond Crusted Chicken Salad

What a DAY!!!!
Will this rain ever end? I had planned to make this salad several times but I needed Parmesan cheese which I finally purchased today in the pouring rain with Amelia. BUT.......when I started to make it I realized I didn't have pecans. Now the recipe is called Pecan Crusted Chicken Salad, so its kind of hard to miss that one ingredient. hmmm, so what to do?

I searched the pantry and I had sliced almonds or walnuts. I went with the almonds. So I will credit to the Picky Palate http://www.picky-palate.com/ for the Pecan Crusted Chicken Salad recipe that inspired my Almond Crusted Chicken Salad recipe. I also wanted to make it similar to the salad that I loved--LOVED at TGIF's. I don't love it so much anymore because out of every salad at every chain restaurant it has been outed as THE absolute worst salad you could eat. A Big Mac is healthier. So I miss it and wanted to try to make it healthier....but then I realized I didn't have mandarin oranges in my pantry. How does that happen? I suspect Jackson had something to do with it.

I am up to 2 strikes, its getting late. Both kids are really wanting attention, I also am making chicken soup because its so gross out it seemed like we needed some soup. I'm exhausted!

So here is dinner for tonight---oh and the pictures stink. I had to use my cheapy camera because both batteries for my good one are dead at the same time, which is why you buy 2 batteries in the 1st place right? Can you tell there was theme going on tonight?
Almond Crusted Chicken Salad
cant really see the chicken hiding in here
INGREDIENTS
1 ½ Cups Japanese Panko Bread Crumbs
½ Cup fresh grated Parmesan Cheese
½ Cup ground almonds


1/2 Cup flour
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon pepper

2 eggs
2 Tablespoons water

4 large boneless skinless chicken breasts pounded thinner * my preference but you don't need too

Honey Dijon Dressing
3/4 Cup mayonnaise * I used reduced fat
Heaping ¼ Cup whole grain mustard * I used Dijon
Heaping ¼ Cup honey

2 tbsp. cider vinegar
Salt and pepper to taste

Mixed greens of choice
Sliced cucumbers
Cherry tomatoes
cranberries
green onions chopped
mandarin oranges (next time)

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a shallow bowl mix the Panko, Parmesan and almonds ( I ran the almonds & parm cheese through the small food processor). Set aside. In another shallow bowl mix the flour, salt and pepper. In a third shallow bowl whisk the egg and water. Dredge each chicken breast into the flour mixture, the egg mixture then press into the pecan crust. Place each chicken breast onto a greased baking rack placed over a baking sheet. Bake for 25-35 minutes or until chicken is cooked through. Let cool for 10 minutes then cut into thin strips.

2. To prepare dressing, mix the mayonnaise, mustard,vinegar and honey into a bowl. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

3. Place salad greens onto serving plates and top with pecan crusted chicken, sliced cucumbers, tomatoes, cherry tomatoes and feta cheese. Drizzle with dressing.

here is the chicken out of the oven. Next time I might give it a spray with some pam to golden brown it up a bit more. But it was really delicious
VERDICT

I really enjoyed this salad. It was very hardy and despite all the missteps and substitutions I think it turned out so good I would make it exactly the same way again. I also had 1 1/2 large pieces of chicken leftover so it does make a lot when you pound them out. The dressing was also really really simple to make and delicious. The combination would also make a delicious sandwich on a crusty bread or in a wrap. I think this salad is also really great for a companies coming lunch. The pictures don't do it justice but it makes a really pretty presentation.
If that weren't enough I made soup also.........
CHICKEN SOUP

I think I have perfected chicken soup the way I like it. I have tried so many different recipes this is a combination of years of trial and error, but I think my hard work paid off.

Ingredients

  • 2 cups shredded rotisserie chicken
  • 6 cups chicken stock
  • 2 cups water
  • 1 tsp chicken bouillon
  • 2 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
  • 3 carrots diced
  • 1 onion diced
  • 3 stalks celery diced
  • salt & pepper to taste
  • quarter size amount of whole wheat spaghetti or 1/2 cup pasta of choice
  • fresh parsley its nice to add if you have it, but I don't if I don't

I heat a large heavy bottomed stock pot and add some EVOO. Then I add the veggies. Saute them until the onions are translucent about 5 minutes on medium heat. Then I add everything else except the pasta and turn the heat up to almost high ( on my stove anyway). I let that come to a boil and once it boils for about 15 minutes I add the pasta and let is simmer for another 5 minutes (* but I usually go by what the box says to cook it for in this case thin spaghetti cooks in 5 minutes) and that's it. It may seem weird to add vinegar but it was in another soup recipe I love and it really adds something subtle to the flavor and it makes the color more rich. I sometimes even add more once it starts to simmer and I do a taste test.

Verdict

PERFECTION

No comments:

Post a Comment