Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Chicken Stir Fry Wraps

I didnt start cooking tonight until almost 9 pm since my little sweet boy was feverish all day and everyone was so needy that dinner had to wait. Luckily Doug aka Chief Taste Tester was working late so no one had to suffer from hunger (except me) Luckily this recipe is really simple, easy to slice & dice ahead of time and it comes together for a very quick and healthy meal. I got this one from a Martha Stewart Everyday Food Cook Book I picked up in Costco. This recipe is worth the $14 I paid. Since getting the book a few months ago I think this is the 4th apperance of this recipe. Its a favorite and I bet once you make it you will see why.

I realized once I was finished writing this one up I keep posting my verdict on recipes I have already perfected and had a bunch of times before. So I apologize for the rave reviews on everything. I promise to hunt down some new recipes for next week.


Chicken Stir Fry Wraps
borrowed From Marth Stewart Everyday Food

INGREDIENTS

1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts, halved horizontally and thinly sliced * I use Thin Cut breasts
Coarse salt and ground pepper
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 large onion, halved and thinly sliced
1 large red bell pepper, ribs and seeds removed, thinly sliced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 1/2 teaspoons grated peeled fresh ginger * fresh does make the flavor stronger then the powder
1/4 tablespoon red-pepper flakes
3 tablespoons soy sauce
3 tablespoons rice vinegar
1 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch, mixed with
1 tablespoon water
12 Boston lettuce leaves (I buy 2 heads)* make sure you wash these really well. I rinse them about 3 times before the dirt all comes off.

*optional Chopped peanuts & green onions to sprinkle on top

  1. Season chicken with salt and pepper. In a large nonstick skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over high heat. Add half the chicken; cook, stirring constantly, until opaque throughout, 2 to 4 minutes.

  2. Transfer to a plate. Repeat with remaining chicken.
  3. Add remaining tablespoon oil to pan, along with the onion and bell pepper. Cook, stirring constantly, until onion is tender and golden, about 4 minutes (reduce heat if browning too quickly).
  4. Reduce heat to medium; add garlic, ginger, and red-pepper flakes; cook, stirring, until fragrant, 30 to 60 seconds.
  5. Stir in soy sauce, vinegar, and cornstarch mixture; remove from heat. Add chicken and any accumulated juices; toss to coat. Serve in lettuce cups.
    Yield: 4 servings

VERDICT

Martha Stewart knows her Chicken Stir Fry Wraps. I love these and while I wasnt in the mood to cook tonight since it was so late I had craved them all day and they lived up to my expectations. I did think once I was finished that chopped nuts & green onions (both of which I had) would be really good on top too. Maybe next time. Oh and be careful not to wrap the chicken in the lettuce ahead of time, the lettuce gets very soggy quickly.







No comments:

Post a Comment