Friday, June 26, 2009

Mar-a-Lago Turkey Burg

WAHOOOO TURKEY BURGERS!!!!!
So here is the deal. I don't like turkey burgers. I prefer ground beef to ground turkey but in an effort to be healthier I figured I would try to eat more turkey. So I came across this recipe last summer and I loved it. It was on Oprah's Favorite things of Summer so how could I go wrong? If its good enough for Oprah then surely its good enough for me. Well it was true love from the beginning. Its a much more labor intensive way to make a turkey burger but its perfection on a bun. BUT I got lazy. I didnt like the chopping and the sauteing, just thought it wasnt worth the effort. So I tried 3 other recipes that all came highly recommended. And they were OK, but I wasnt so enthused and I would struggle to finish it. UNTIL TONIGHT.......it was like the planets alined again and all was right with the world of turkey burgers. I forgot just how great this burger was until I made them again. So for me no other burger comes close and it will be served exclusively at my home this summer....maybe if you are lucky you will get an invite. Until then, drool over the pictures. I have to say I couldnt grill them outside because it was a monsoon--go figure it was raining. So I did them on my grill pan instead.

Some notes about the recipe. I 1/2 the ingredients as listed because it calls for 4 pound of meat and serves 6. I like thinner & smaller burgers so cutting it in half is still plenty for us for dinner and some leftover.

Mar-a-Lago Turkey Burger
recipe borrowed from Oprah & Donald Trump

Ingredients:
1/4 cup thinly sliced scallions
1/2 cup finely chopped celery
3 Granny Smith apples , peeled and diced
1/8 cup canola oil
4 pounds ground turkey breast
2 Tbsp. salt
2 Tbsp. black pepper
2 tsp. Tabasco® chipotle pepper sauce
1 lemon , juiced and grated zest
1/2 bunch parsley , finely chopped *** I have used Dry
1/4 cup Major Grey's Chutney , pureed *** this is located with the Mustard/Ketchup/BBQ Sauce in my grocery store

Sauté the scallions, celery and apples in the canola oil until tender. Let cool.Place the ground turkey in a large mixing bowl. Add sautéed items and the remaining ingredients. Shape into eight 8-ounce burgers. Refrigerate for 2 hours.(this step is important to prevent them from falling apart)Season the turkey burgers with salt and pepper. Place on a preheated, lightly oiled grill. Grill each side for 7 minutes until meat is thoroughly cooked. Let sit for 5 minutes.


VERDICT
So as you can see I love this burger. I could go on and on, but I would love to hear other people's opinions since maybe I just dont like other Turkey Burgers so since I like this one, its the best in my book! And yes those are tater-tots in the background



No comments:

Post a Comment