Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Braised Chicken

I dont really have too much to say tonight. I made this meal last Thursday and wrote about it that night also, but didnt really have much to say and it was hard to type with my boo-boo finger. Which by the way is still healing under wraps. What a PAIN!!!

Onto the real reason you read this blog......



Braised Chicken
Borrowed from Annie Eats


Ingredients:

3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts

Salt and pepper

3 cloves garlic, grated or finely minced

1 tsp. paprika

1 tsp. curry powder

1/4 tsp. cinnamon

1/4 tsp. salt

1/8 tsp. cumin

4-5 tbsp. olive oil, divided

2 bell peppers, seeded and cut into strips

1 onion, sliced

3 tomatoes, seeded and chopped

1/2 cup chicken broth

Cilantro, for garnish



Directions:

Preheat the oven to 350° F.

Season chicken breasts with salt and pepper.
In a small bowl, combine the garlic, paprika, curry powder, cinnamon, salt, cumin and olive oil.
Whisk together until well combined.
Heat 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil in a skillet or Dutch oven over medium-high heat.
Add the chicken breasts to the pan and cook until just golden brown on both sides, a few minutes per side.
Once browned, remove the chicken to a plate.

Toss about a third of the sliced peppers and onions onto the bottom of your baking dish.
Lay the chicken pieces on top of the vegetables.
Brush the tops of the chicken pieces with the spice-olive oil mixture.
Distribute the remaining peppers and onions around and on top of the chicken pieces, and top with the chopped tomatoes.
Brush the remaining spice-oil mixture on top of the veggies.
Pour the chicken broth into your baking dish around the edges.
Transfer the baking dish to the preheated oven to bake for 1 hour.
After 30 minutes of baking, remove from the oven, flip the chicken pieces over, toss the vegetables, and spoon some of the cooking juices from the bottom of the dish over the top of the chicken.
Return the dish to the oven to bake for 30 minutes longer.
Remove from the oven, garnish with chopped cilantro and serve.

VERDICT
Before I give my verdict if you have time check out Annie’s blog. She is amazingly talented in both cooking and photography. I am so not in the same league. This dish was good. YOU MUST use a giant pan. I mean the biggest pan you have. I used a 11 x8 and it still wasn’t big enough to fit everything. I did love the smell of the spices and it was a really interesting flavor combination. Jackson liked it and Doug and I thought it was good. Not great, but good. I really liked the veggies too and if you ate them all in the same bite it was better then the chicken alone. I might try the spice combo on something else or maybe in the crockpot. It was kind of a fussy recipe for the outcome. It is hard for me to cook anything for an hour because I usually only have less than hour to prep, throw it together and cook it. Would I make it again…eh, probably not. Will I try it in the crockpot—maybe.


Oh and the clincher was I sliced into the finger with my newly sharpened knives as the plumbers were fixing the toilet and Amelia was screaming. After the bleeding stopped—45 minutes later I could continue on with chopping so maybe that’s why I don’t have any nice memories of this meal. I am going to post a sign in my kitchen it has been……… days until the last accident. Lets see how long I can go without kitchen injury

No comments:

Post a Comment