Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Southwestern Skillet- Casserole

I am not going to give a verdict on this recipe, it just seems silly. I make this dish a lot. You should really put it under a file of really easy, quick, delicious go to meals. It never disappoints and I cant believe my good fortune to have found it. I think I have been making this one for probably 6 years or so. I have been on Weight Watcher a few times and this one was one of the recipes I found during my time on their crazy diet wagon but I think it has staying power because no one would know its only 9 points.

The original name is Southwestern Casserole but, I don’t know why its called a Casserole, because I don’t think it is one since I think of casseroles as something you put in the oven. So I think I might re-name it Southwestern Skillet-Casserole. Oh and when I normally make it I dont put the green onions on to make it look fancy, that was for the benefit of the camera but I have to say it was pretty good, so if you have them in the house throw them on too. This recipe is also pretty flexible and you can add beans or corn or both in the last 5 minutes of cooking too. You can also omit the meat all together and just use any kind of red or black bean

Southwestern Skillet- Casserole

Borrowed from Weight Watchers
****9 WW Points Plus

1 pound ground beef-93% lean**You could use turkey too**
¾ cup diced onion
¾ cup diced green pepper
2 seeded jalapeƱos-I never use these
1 can (28 ounce) whole tomatoes
2 cups low fat sour cream—it’s the entire 16 ozs container
1 tablespoon chili powder
½ tsp. salt
8 ounces uncooked penne-I use barilla whole grain medium shells and measure exactly 8 ozs.

It is imperative that you use a non-stick skillet. There is major sticking going on if you dont

Add the ground beef, breaking it up with a large spoon, until it looses its pink color, drain and fat from the pan while this is cooking, you can chop your veggies and open the cans.

Add the onions and green peppers, cooking until softened. Stir in the jalapeno peppers, tomatoes, chili powder, sour cream and salt.

Add the uncooked pasta, Stir, cover, lower the heat and gently simmer until the pasta is tender, about 25 minutes. Stir every 5-8 minutes to keep pasta from sticking to the saucepan bottom.

1 comment:

  1. LOVED THIS. You'd never know it was low fat...definately a keeper!

    ReplyDelete