Thursday, August 13, 2009

Cheesy Chicken Cordon Bleu Rice Casserole

I thought I was almost getting caught up and posting about the meals I eat on the nights I eat them. But things have been entirely too hectic in our household so I am still stuck in last weeks Eats. Before I get to the main event I needed to post another picture of my sweet girl Mia, who now likes to tear apart my drawers just like her big brother did. It seems like just yesterday he was experimenting with all my utensil and now she is into everything. Hey whatever I need to do to get dinner on the table!


Dinners Served

Cheesy Chicken Cordon Bleu Rice Casserole
borrowed from the Picky Palate

2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1 red bell pepper, diced
1 clove fresh garlic, minced
½ lb diced ham
2 Cups cooked shredded chicken breast
4 Tablespoons butter
¼ Cup flour
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon fresh cracked pepper
14 oz can chicken broth
3 Cups cooked rice of choice (I use Success Boil in the Bag brown rice its very good for casseroles)
1 Cup shredded cheddar cheese
1 Cup shredded swiss cheese---I omit the cheddar and use 2 cups swiss

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Heat oil into a large 5 qt rimmed skillet over medium heat. Saute onion and bell pepper until softened, about 5 minutes.
Stir in garlic, ham and chicken. Cook for an additional 5 minutes.
Melt butter then stir in flour, salt and pepper until combined.
Slowly stir in chicken broth until well combined.
Stir in cooked rice then transfer to a 9×13 inch baking dish.
Top with cheddar and swiss cheeses.
Bake for 20-25 minutes.
Cover the dish with foil the last 10 minutes for oozing cheese.
6-8 servings

VERDICT
You know how I love a good casserole. This one does not disappoint. It is really easy to put together, the ingredients are pretty basic and the results are delicious. I did make a slight change in that I stir in 1 1/2 cups of cheese into the casserole and sprinkle a 1/2 cup on top. I like more cheese throughout instead of a thick layer on the top. There really isn't that much to say because this dish has made its 4th appearance on our table so its a winner.




No comments:

Post a Comment