Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Grilled Mexican Chicken with Tomato Avocado Salsa

Have I mentioned my love of Mexican Food?

I could eat it everyday for weeks and not get sick of it. Sadly that is really the only way I get it, is if I cook it myself because there are no great restaurants locally. Maybe someday someone will come along and build a Cantina......a girl can dream. Until then........

Grilled Mexican Chicken with Tomato Avocado Salsa
borrowed from Dinners for a Year and Beyond
serves 4 - 5


for chicken --1/4 cup onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, chopped
juice of 2 limes
1/4 cup olive oil
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
2 teaspoons cumin
2 teaspoons paprika
1 tablespoon brown sugar
3 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
2 1/2 pounds chicken tenders



for salsa --1/3 cup onion, chopped
1 cup kirby cucumber, chopped
2 1/2 cups tomato, chopped
juice of 1/2 of a lime
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
1 avocado, chopped and tossed with juice of 1/2 of a lime
salt and pepper to taste


cojita cheese, for sprinkling
tortillas
tortilla chips



In a small bowl combine the first 10 ingredients.
Place the chicken tenders in a resealable bag and add the marinade.
Seal and squish around the contents to mix well.
Let chicken marinate for about an hour.
Heat a grill to medium high.
While the grilling is heating, prepare the salsa.

In a medium sized bowl, combine the salsa ingredients.
Set aside.
Remove the chicken from the marinade and and grill for about 4 - 5 minutes per side or until the chicken is cooked through.
Remove from grill and top with the salsa and the cojita cheese.
Serve with tortillas and tortilla chips.


VERDICT
REALLY REALLY GOOD
This chicken is so versatile. You can do so much with it. It is a really easy marinade to put together and its really flavorful. Much more so then anything that comes in a packet or bottle. The leftovers were great the next day too. I grilled it the 1st day and ate it with the salsa on tortillas. The next day I had a few smaller pieces left so I chopped it smaller and added a can of black beans and it was burritos again but would have made a great filling for quesidillas, I just didn't feel like the extra work. This is going to become my go to need chicken for a Mexican dish recipe. I can check "all around Mexican Chicken" recipe off my too find list. Oh and the salsa was good too. I liked it after about an hour when it was softened and a bit juicier. Even ate the left overs of that the next day and they were good

PS--If anyone knows what kirby cucumber is can you let me know. I need to google it but keep forgetting
AND where the heck can I get Cojita Cheese? I use Cheddar but am Curious to try Cojita because Rachael Ray uses it too and I need to know if I am missing something magical

2 comments:

  1. A kirby cuke is one of the small ones that is used to make pickles. I like to use them because they contain less water.

    Cojita cheese is available at Shoprite in the fancy cheese section. I think it is also at Trader Joes.

    Glad you liked another recipe!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tried this tonight! Fabulous, everyone loved it. The only downside was that we had zero leftovers!!! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete