Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Mojito Chicken

I never had a Mojito until August on Vacation. So clearly I didn't know what I was missing and now that I do, it is a fast favorite. As luck would have it I stumble upon this recipe and a happy girl was I. I didn't see any mint in the recipe so I was a bit concerned but it really didn't matter, I couldn't be stopped. You say Mojito I say YIPPEEE!!

Mojito Chicken

borrowed from Dinners For a Year and Beyond



4 chicken breasts, boneless and skinless
2 tb flour
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
olive oil
1 tb butter
1 tb ginger, chopped
2 garlic cloves, chopped
red pepper flakes
1/4 cup lime juice
1/4 cup rum
2 tb sugar
garnish with lime zest and slices


In a ziploc bag, combine flour, garlic powder, salt and pepper.
Add chicken one piece at a time and shake to coat.
Heat oil and butter in a large pan.
Brown chicken on both sides.
About 10 minutes total.
Transfer to plate and keep warm.
In same pan, add ginger, garlic, lime juice, rum, red pepper flakes and sugar.
Stir and bring to a boil.
Cook until thickened, about 2 minutes.
Spoon sauce over chicken.
Garnish.


I created the side dish myself from odds and ends in my fridge. It was thrown together in about 5 minutes and it turned out so good I would make it again.

1 zucchini diced
1 ear fresh corn taken off the cob
1 tomato seeded and diced
1/4 cup chopped red onion
sprinkle of garlic powder
sprinkle salt & pepper


put onion and zucchini in saute pan with cooking spray until softened, sprinkle with garlic, salt & pepper, add corn cook for 4 minutes, add tomatoes and cook for another 3 minutes more


VERDICT:
DAMN this is a great piece of chicken. I get in the chicken rut easily because as you can tell we eat chicken....pretty much every single day. This was such a complete surprise and so incredibly delicious. I cant wait to have it again. The sauce was sweet but it wasn't so sweet that is took over. I think you could ever put it on plain old grilled chicken and you would be just as happy. I do need to figure out how to get the fresh ginger to be smaller chunks. That is the only problem I encountered and it always happens unless I use my small grater. I think I need to stick to that method. With the knife they just don't get small enough for my liking. The side dishes were perfectly paired with the chicken too. The rice soaked up the extra juice from the chicken. And who knew my odds and ends veggie salad would be so tasty. Jackson really liked this chicken too, so in my book its scored major points and will be in reruns before summers end for sure!

2 comments:

  1. This sounds delicious, and definitely something I'd like to try to make!

    If you want to get your ginger even smaller, you could try using a vegetable peeler to peel really thin strips. Then, mince those strips. Or, you can just use a smaller grater, as you said.

    Now that you've tried Mojitos, you need to taste a Caipirinha ...

    xo Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  2. I finally tried this and it was delicious! The Veggie slaw too! Loved it!

    ReplyDelete