Tuesday, August 25, 2009

SUMMER CHILI

I think sometimes aliens have come down from outer space in the middle of the night and sucked out my brains. I try to remember too many things and its impossible. If it isn't on a post-it, its forgotten in virtually minutes. Its sad sad sad!!! For example....dinner tonight. Its called Summer Chili because its supposed to have Summer Ale in it. BUT.... I forgot to write that on the shopping list so not an ale in sight. It happens........A LOT!!!
Oh well, maybe someday my brain will go back to being a normal functioning memorable brain Until then, I stock up on my favorite bright yellow post its and keep them all over the house, in my car and in my purse.

SUMMER CHILI
I am SO sorry I know this is from a Blog but I didn't Cc it so I can credit anyone....

Ingredients:
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 small onion, roughly chopped
1 pound ground turkey---I used the 20 ozs pack cause what am I going to do with leftovers?
½ - ¾ cup summer ale--as I said I forgot this
1 can black beans
1 can of pink beans
1 zucchini, roughly diced
1 1/2-2 cups tomato sauce---I used 5 small cans
1 14.5 oz can of diced tomatoes w/juice
1 tbsp cumin
2 tsp chili powder (not as much as regular chili!!)
2 - 3 shakes of Worcestershire sauce
Salt & pepper to taste
1 ½ - 2 tablespoons honey
Splash of lime juice (optional)

Toppers: Cheddar cheese, green onions, chopped tomatoes

Heat your pan to medium, put the olive oil into the pan. Toss in the chopped onion. Brown your ground turkey.
Pour in the beer and cook for a few minutes to let the alcohol cook out.
Drop the heat back to medium and add in everything else, no particular order (except for the toppings, of course!).
Then, let simmer for 20 – 25 minutes.
At the very last second – cut a lime in half and squeeze the juice over the chili.
Serve warm over rice with your choice of toppings. I happen to like cheese, green onions & chopped tomatoes

VERDICT:
Stinking delicious!!!!! I loved the flavor of this chili. I usually don't eat it over rice either but I made my trusty Success Boil in the Bag family sized brown rice, and I loved it. It comes out great and so easy. It was really fresh tasting and not spicy at all. I think the lime at the end gave it an extra flavor that really added something to it. I might try adding some more next time. I also didn't notice the few extra ozs. of turkey I added because who needs 4 ozs of ground turkey laying around? This is a keeper for sure. I almost added some fresh corn in it too, because fresh corn=Summertime in my house but thought I would try it as is first...next time I am adding the corn



No comments:

Post a Comment