Monday, September 14, 2009

Mexican Lasagna

I make this recipe all the time, there are tons of variations on it so I will do my best to remember what the heck I did tonight. I originally got the recipe from Corn Cut Rachael Ray many many moons ago. It is such a simple concept I don’t use a recipe I just open the fridge and my pantry and let the magic happen. I was supposed to make something else on this night but again I just didn’t have my heart into it and just went with something I know how to make quickly so I can be done and collapse.
again this picture looks pretty boring and not so yummy, I swear its a really great go to meal

I had green onions and sour cream to pretty it up but I was delirious with sickness......





Mexican Lasagna

adapted from Rachael Ray you should check out and make the original version too!



Ingredients
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 pound chicken breast diced

1 taco packet

1/2 cup water

1 8 ozs cream cheese-softened in Microwave for 30 second (might take longer but it needs to be spreadable)

1 (15-ounce) can black beans, drained
1 (14-oz) can diced or fire roasted tomatoes
1 cup frozen or fresh corn kernels
Salt
8 (8 inch) tortillas

2 1/2 cups shredded Cheddar or shredded pepper jack
2 scallions, finely chopped


Directions
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
Preheat a large skillet over medium high heat.

Add 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil - twice around the pan.

Add chicken Brown the meat, 5 minutes.

Take 1 tsp. of taco packet and mix with softened cream cheese

Add remainder of taco packet and stewed or fire roasted tomatoes.

Add black beans and corn.

Heat the mixture until liquid is reduced.

Then season with salt, to your taste.
Coat a shallow baking dish with remaining extra-virgin olive oil, about 1 tablespoon oil.

Cut the tortillas in half or quarters to make them easy to layer with.

Build lasagna in layers tortilla, cream cheese mix, meat, cheese

Repeat: Tortillas, cream cheese mix, meat, cheese

Bake lasagna 20-25 minutes until cheese is brown and bubbly.

Top with the scallions and serve.



VERDICT

Ok so this was a really great version...if I do say so myself. I experimented with the cream cheese mixture. I have to say, I was really pleasantly surprised. As sick as I was I was still looking to change it up a bit but not so much that I needed to think too hard. I have a pretty well stocked pantry and fridge so this one is always pretty easy for me. If I don't have a taco packet I throw in some chili powder, Cumin and garlic powder. I have used chicken breasts, ground chicken, ground beef and ground turkey. This should be in every one's go to meal pile. You don't get much easier then this and its quick, easy, and pretty delicious for barely any effort. And the leftovers are even better.

1 comment: