Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Pork with Roasted Lemon-Apple Relish

So not every meal works out 100% and to prove this I will now post a picture of my burnt pan with the caramelized onions and lemons.....oopsie!

Nice right??? I spent a lot of time with a Brillo tonight trying to save my pan....and I spent a good chunk of time trying to make another side to serve with the pork
Pork with Roasted Lemon-Apple Relish--Kind of
from Everyday with Rachael Ray
2 pounds boneless pork loin roast, tied
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
Salt and pepper
1 lemon, thinly sliced crosswise and seeded
1 red onion, thinly sliced
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1/2 cup apple juice
1/4 cup raisins
1 green apple, cored and cut into 1-inch cubes
1 teaspoon sherry vinegar
Directions:
Preheat the oven to 425°.
Place the pork on one side of a large baking dish, rub with 1 tablespoon olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
On the other side of the dish, combine the lemon, onion, 1 tablespoon olive oil and the sugar; season with salt and pepper and arrange in an even layer.
Roast until the pork registers 150° on an instant-read thermometer and the lemon slices are browned around the edges, about 30 minutes.
Tent the pork with foil and let rest.
Transfer the lemon mixture to a work surface and chop.
In a medium glass bowl, combine the apple juice and raisins; microwave on high power for 1 minute.
Stir in the lemon mixture, apple, vinegar and the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
Thinly slice the pork and serve with the relish.
OR
if you burn the thin slices of lemon and onion because your daughter was being quite demanding and you turned the timer off and never took the actual dinner out of the over. Peel and core 2 green apples. Cut into thin strip. Saute them in a tablespoon of butter for 5 minutes. Take 1/4 cup raisins and a 1/2 cup apple juice and microwave for 1 minute. Add them to the apples reserving about 3 tbsp liquid. Add a tsp of cornstarch and then add to the pan and stir. Try to pick off as much of the lemons and onions that aren't burnt and add them to the apples. Cook until softened.
VERDICT
After my little drama over burning the key parts to this dish I was a little worried. I was to say it was pretty delicious. I really liked my apple version although I don't know what the original was supposed to taste like but I would make it this way again. I have to say the pork was delicious. The best I have ever made. I usually over cook it but this was really juicy and tender. I think I used my mandolin slicer and made the slices too thin and that is why they burned so quickly. Next time I will used a thicker slice and see what I can make out of that! All in all a great fall meal. I even made my own mashed sweet potatoes...aren't you impressed. I was annoyed because they were out of the Ore Ida Steam and Mash this week. Making me work TOO hard for dinner!!!! It was a really quick dinner to put together...well it would have been if I hadnt burned it . Oh and if you want to get a toddler to eat anything put some mushy apples and raisins on it--worked like a charm

No comments:

Post a Comment