Thursday, September 17, 2009

Paula Deen Meatloaf Bonanza

WHAT THE HELL??? Paula Deen's Magazine doesnt put the recipes on their website!!!!
Which means in order to bring you the entire dinner I cooked tonight I need to type out all 3 recipes. I am not happy. At all. But I will do it. For you. The ones I love....and even the strangers I dont who have somehow found this crazy blog of mine. Not to spoil the verdict at the end but if it wasn't worth I wouldn't take the time to write it up (wink)


Taco Meatloaf
From Cooking with Paula Deen Sept/Oct 2009I would give you a link but there isn't one!!!!!
2 pounds of ground beef
1 medium onion
1/2 cup fresh cilantro
1 taco package seasoning mix
1/4 cup tomato sauce
1 large egg
1 cup crushed tortilla chips

Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Line rimmed baking sheet with foil
In a large bowl combine meat, onion, cilantro, and taco pack.
Add tomato sauce and egg, stirring to combine
Using hands work in the crushed tortilla chips until combined
Shape into a 10 inch load on the baking sheet
bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour or until meat is cooked through
Let stand for 10 minutes before serving

Chipotle Mashed Potatoes
5 large baking potatoes peeled, and cut into 1 inch chunks OR the ore ida bag of steam and mash potatoes
1/4 cup butter
1 16 oz container of sour cream
1 cup shredded sharp cheddar
1 teaspoon minced chipotle pepper in adobo suace
1 teaspoon adobo sauce from the chili pepper
2 1/2 teaspoons of salt

In a large saucepan combine potatoes and water to cover.
Bring to a boil over medium high heat
reduce heat and simmer for 8-10 minutes or until potatoes are tender
Drain Well
Add butter, and let stand until its melted
Add sour cream, cheese, pepper, adobo sauce, and salt
Using potato masher, mash potatoes to desired consistency
Serve immediately
OR
Stick the bag of frozen potatoes in the microwave
Cook for 10 minutes
Put them in the bowl
Add all the other stuff (I do use slightly less ingredients because I don't think there was 5 large potatoes)
Mash em'
Eat


Zucchini and Squash Saute
1 tablespoon of Olive Oil
1 large onion sliced thin
3 garlic cloves, minced
4 medium zucchini cut into 3 in x 1/4 sticks
4 medium yellow squash cut into 3 inch x 1/4 sticks ** I didn't have any of these so I just used more zucchini**
3/4 cup tomato sauce

In a large skillet heat olive oil over medium heat.
Add onion and garlic; cook for 3-4 minutes or until onion is tender
Add zucchini and squash;cook for 4-5 minutes or until veggies are almost tender
Stir in tomato sauce and cook until mixture is heated through
Serve immediately

VERDICT
Phew! I really hated having to type all that. Much nicer to cut and paste--Only for you Paula Deen
Let's take one thing at a time
The Meatloaf--Yummy. I did overcook slightly which made it a little dry for my liking. I usually make my meatloaf with a BBQ glaze on top and I kind of missed having a saucy top. I wonder if you could add a chunky salsa what might happen? It was really good though and couldn't have been easier. Dare I say I only added 1/4 cup cilantro and I think it needed the full dose of 1/2 cup. I think I really like it now. Go figure. Jackson loved it. Again go figure

The Potatoes---HOLY CRAP are these good. If you want it slightly spicy I would follow the directions as is. They had a little kick but it wasn't so overwhelming that you didn't like them. Jackson loved them. The cheese, the potatoes, ahhh they were even great cold. I also really recommend the steam and mash potatoes. It cut down on my work load by so much especially when you are adding so many other fatty, flavorful ingredients they dont taste frozen. And they are so quick its silly not to use them.

The Zucchini-Kind of weird that it was more Italianish then Mexican. It was OK, not my favorite zucchini recipe but it was quick and easy. I did like that you use the other 3/4 cup tomato sauce that was leftover from the 1/4 in the meatloaf which was why I stuck with it instead of making carrots. I just think they needed a bit more flavor. There was no mention of salt or pepper and they needed it. Maybe some chili powder too.

There is my Paula Deen Meatloaf Bonanza. I made all 3 of the recipes featured on the same page from her Bubba which I think is her husband Michael. There is a recipe online for corn and cheese fritters to go with it but come on with all that butter, and cream I couldnt go there!!

No comments:

Post a Comment