Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Kung Pao Chicken

September....really?
I mean it felt like September today and everyone stopped complaining about the humidity but REALLY? Didn't this summer go incredibly fast?

I cant believe I will be making butternut squash soup, stuffing casseroles, cranberry everything, meatloaf galore and going apple picking soon. Maybe the fact that my 2 little buggers don't allow me to sit at the beach every day from 9-5 makes it seem like I don't get to fully enjoy the summers on the beach the way God himself intended.

OH well, at least there is something to be excited about...soup, soup and more soup. I love soup and I make a lot of it. So be prepared for the increase in soup posts. I also do lots of casseroles. Who doesn't Love a good casserole? Apparently some people don't because I have heard this and I am shocked. SO if you are one of those people who don't eat soup and don't like casseroles, I don't know what to tell you......make a suggestion on what you would like to see more of (with the exception of fish, mushrooms or shrimp) and I will do my best to accommodate you. But really, if there is some recipe you have been searching for and you would like me to perfect it for you, let me know. I have done so with meatloaf and turkey burgers. After so many attempts I finally found ones that I like. Although I admit, I still try out new recipes for meatloaf and turkey burgers just to make sure. Weird...I know.
Before I forget thanks to all those who have signed up after my plee yesterday...but I know there are more of you lurkers out there. Come on, admit you follow me....I can see you---
So here's dinner tonight--the picture doesn't look so good. For some reason you cant see the sauce. I think I put it on the plate before it thickened so it looks like there isn't anything on it, and I am not sure I would try this recipe if I saw the picture but I promise its false bad advertising

Kung Pao Chicken

from cooking light

  • 1 tablespoon canola oil, divided
  • 4 cups broccoli florets
  • 1 tablespoon ground fresh ginger (such as Spice World), divided
  • 2 tablespoons water
  • 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
  • 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cut into 1/4-inch strips
  • 1/2 cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
  • 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
  • 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
  • 2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
  • 1 teaspoon cornstarch
  • 4 garlic cloves, minced
  • 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped salted peanuts

Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.

Add broccoli and 2 teaspoons ginger to pan; sauté 1 minute.

Add water.

Cover; cook 2 minutes or until broccoli is crisp-tender.

Remove broccoli from pan; keep warm.


Heat remaining 2 teaspoons oil in pan; add remaining 1 teaspoon ginger, crushed red pepper, and chicken.

Cook 4 minutes or until chicken is lightly browned, stirring frequently.


Combine broth and next 5 ingredients (through garlic) in a small bowl, and stir with a whisk.

Add broth mixture to pan; cook 1 minute or until mixture thickens, stirring constantly.

Return broccoli mixture to pan; toss to coat. Sprinkle with peanuts.

VERDICT

LOVE this dish. I have made this many times so this wasn't really a surprise. Its so easy to make. No crazy weird ingredients. Love the broccoli cooked this way and I actually make it just like this quite often as a quick side dish. It could have used a little more pepper flakes tonight but I tried to serve it to Jackson, so I didn't want to make it too hot, but my mistake toddlers weren't eating dinner tonight. Is it just like in the restaurants? Well no, but it has 239 calories and only 7.9 grams of fat and for that this dish is amazingly delicious. If I didn't tell you it was cooking light and give you the low down you wouldn't even have guessed it was light. Which works for me. For me this is an easy go to meal that comes together super duper fast, its healthy, (usually) the whole family will eat it and I like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment