Sunday, September 20, 2009

Thanksgiving came early

I don't even know which picture to start with because they are both so pretty.....and delicious. No verdicts tonight. I make both of these things all the time and I love them. I don't always know if I am cooking dinner on Sundays (because we get invited over people's house a lot) and since I was headed to the grocery store I could figure out something quick but Sunday
Dinner-like. I created this sandwich...Ok I am sure I didn't invent it but this is my quicky version.

Thanksgiving Come Early & Often Sandwich

1 rotisserie chicken sliced
1 jar of Heinz home style chicken gravy**if you like to dip your sandwich warm 2 jars**
1 small can of whole cranberry sauce
2 single serve containers of Stove Top Stuffing or the regular box w/ leftovers
4 ciambatta rolls toasted

Slice the chicken and warm it in a large saute pan with the Heinz Gravy.
Cook the stuffing
Open the can of cranberries
Put warmed chicken on the roll
Then some stuffing
Then Smear the Cranberries on the top of the roll
Close the roll
Cut
Eat
Seriously its that easy. No real cooking involved and its one of my all time favorite sandwiches. It doesn't look like something I threw together with all store bought ingredients. I like it with some sweet potato fries, which you could make yourself or you could take them out of a bag.

NEXT UP........And how impressed are you right now with this photo???? This is just about the prettiest soup I have ever eaten.
Butternut Squash Bisque
from Allrecipes.com

1 tablespoon canola oil
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1/2 cup diced onion **I use 1 medium**
3/4 cup diced carrots **I used 2 carrots**
4 cups peeled and cubed butternut squash **I buy this in my grocery store already peeled and cubed it comes in a 20 ozs package and I use 2**
3 cups vegetable stock or chicken **I usually use 4 cups or a large container**
salt and ground black pepper to taste
ground nutmeg to taste
1/2 cup heavy cream (optional)

Heat the oil and melt the butter in a large pot over medium heat.
Cook and stir the onion in the butter and oil under tender.
Mix the carrots and squash into the pot.
Pour in vegetable stock, and season with salt, pepper, and nutmeg.
Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer until vegetables are tender.
In a blender or food processor, puree the soup mixture until smooth.
Return to the pot, and stir in the heavy cream.
Heat through, but do not boil.
Serve warm with a dash of nutmeg.
My thoughts
No verdict because I love this soup. And after I made my cream art with it tonight I wish I could have a fancy dinner party just to make this soup. It is perfection. I love it because you literally just throw a bunch of things in a pot, cook them, blender them with your handy hand blender, stir in a little cream and you are done. Never in a million would I expect it would be that easy. These to things went perfectly together and I cant wait to eat some leftovers tomorrow. I do make some changes but try it as is. I adjust the recipe depending on what I have on hand and what I am in the mood for. I dont like wasting 1/2 of an onion or having 1 cup of broth in my fridge so I just use it and adjust the other things too. Its my own version of soup art!

No comments:

Post a Comment