Thursday, September 24, 2009

Creamy Orzo with Asparagus & Parmesan

Ignore the chicken in the photo, it was super duper gross and I didnt eat it, but the side dish was the star of the show and I ended up eating that for dinner.....



Creamy Orzo with Asparagus & Parmesan
borrowed from Sugar & Spice with Celeste
Ingredients:
1 cup orzo
1 cup asparagus, cut into 1 inch pieces
1 tbsp butter or margarine
1/4 to 1/2 cup cream
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
Salt & Pepper, to taste

Directions:
Bring a large sauce pan of water (filled about halfway) to a boil over medium heat. Cook the orzo until tender, about 10 minutes.

After the orzo has been cooking for about 5 minutes, add the asparagus to the same pot (this will allow the orzo and asparagus to cook in the same pot and keep the clean-up to a minimum!).

Once the orzo and asparagus are cooked and tender, drain and return to the pot.

Quickly add the Parmesan cheese and butter. Stir thoroughly, allowing both the cheese and butter to melt. Slowly add the cream to the mixture, while stirring. Continue to stir and add cream until you reach your desired consistency.

Season with salt and pepper.

VERDICT
YUM--I mean YUM
Who Knew? Really easy, uses only one pot. I could easily make this a meal and I did in fact make this a meal since I couldn't eat my mess of a chicken. Its quite the fancy side dish so you should serve it at a dinner party for sure. I myself don't have dinner parties because we have no dining room thanks to all the toys, books, and baby paraphernalia but someday....someday

1 comment:

  1. The garlic chicken is ok. I made it with chicken thighs and drumsticks. MH is a garlic freak and loved it. It had a spanish food kick to it. But I don't think I'd make it again as the smell of garlic in my kitchen for 3 days makes me want to gag just thinking about it.

    ReplyDelete