Monday, September 28, 2009

Tortilla & Black Bean Pie

I think this could be one of the worst pictures I have ever taken. What a mess!
The dinner was good, but needs a bit of work. I think I needed to thicken up the meat mixture more and use less sauce. Oh and I used the carb balance tortillas because they are full of good grams of fiber but I think they are too thin so that the extra liquid just made them mushy. I think this recipe has great potential as long as you follow the actual recipe and don’t mess it up like I did. I love the presentation of the pie being inside the spring form pan. It is wasn’t such a soupy mess it would have been oh so pretty!
Tortilla & Black Bean Pie
From Martha Stewart EveryDay Foods Cookbook
Ingredients:
1 lb ground beef, seasoned with chili powder (1 tbsp)
1 small jar enchilada sauce
4 (10-inch) flour tortillas
1 large onion, diced
2 mild jalapenos and 2 serranos—I omitted
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1 can (15 oz.) black beans, drained and rinsed
12 ounces beer, or 1 1/2 cups water
1 can corn, drained OR 1 package (10 ounces) frozen corn
4 scallions, thinly sliced, plus more for garnish
2 1/2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
sour cream and salsa, for serving

Instructions:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Using a paring knife, trim tortillas to fit a 9-inch springform pan, using the bottom of the pan as a guide. Set aside.
Brown ground beef and drain fat.
Add onion, jalapeno, garlic, and cumin; season with salt and pepper.
Cook until onion is softened, around 5 minutes.
Add beans and beer to skillet, and bring to a boil.
Reduce heat to medium; simmer until liquid has almost evaporated, 8 to 10 minutes.
Stir in corn, and remove from heat.
Fit a trimmed tortilla in bottom of springform pan; layer with 1/4 of the meat & beans, spoon some enchilada sauce over top and 1/2 cup cheese.
Repeat three times, using 1 cup cheese on top layer.
Bake until hot and cheese is melted, 20 to 25 minutes.
Unmold pie; spoon any extra enchilada sauce on top, then sprinkle with scallions.
To serve, slice into wedges and serve with sour cream and salsa.

Verdict:
This would have been a great recipe if I didn't use the wrong tortillas. I will keep that in mind for next time. You can easily omit the meat in this recipe and I think it is just as hearty. It had good flavor and next time I will use the beer instead of water. I just didn't have any on hand. This could be a wow dish for company because it looks really impressive, even though my picture doesn't do it justice.

No comments:

Post a Comment