Thursday, October 15, 2009

Cauliflower Mash

2 sickish kids and dinner to make…..its Shake and Bake time. Its my dirty little secret but yes I do occasionally make Shake and Bake. I know its gross and full of salt and other gross things I cant pronounce, but I love it. And its fast and that was what I needed tonight. I had already made chicken noodle soup for lunch so I wasn’t in the mood to cook. I had picked a recipe that involved pounding out the chicken and I was in no mood. So my trashy chicken was on the menu….WITH the best side dish ever. If you have never tried Cauliflower mash you must do it NOW!!!!! And don't try to tell me you don't like cauliflower. If I made these for you, you wouldn't even know they weren't potatoes.

Cauliflower Mash
and Original Recipe

1 head cauliflower
1 tablespoon cream cheese , softened
1/4 cup grated Parmesan
1 clove garlic minced
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1-2 tablespoons butter

Put a stockpot of water to boil over high heat.
Clean and cut cauliflower into small pieces.
Cook in boiling water for about 6 minutes, or until well done.
Drain well; do not let cool and dry them in a large bowl by putting paper towel in, pour the cauliflower in and then put another towel on top.
In the bowl with an immersion blender, or in a food processor, puree the hot cauliflower with the cream cheese, Parmesan, garlic, chicken base, and pepper until almost smooth.
Put butter in and when melted stir.

**You can also add roasted garlic, bacon & cheddar, broccoli & cheddar, fresh chives anything you would do to regular potatoes.

2 comments:

  1. I tried these tonight with the meatloaf muffins. It didn't look like much cauliflower so I added a yam (since I didn't have a white potato). I then felt like I had to change directions to make them more sweet potato like so I added brown sugar instead of the garlic and cheese. They were pretty good. I still have to try cauliflower alone to see how close it comes to the real thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have done it with regular potato/cauliflower mix and its just as good and less cauliflowery. The recipe is hard because when I made it this week with the muffins the head was much smaller then last time. I think with the small head you could easily do 2 heads with the rest of the ingredients. When one small head is cooked down it looks like nothing in the bowl.

    ReplyDelete