Thursday, October 15, 2009

Hearty Tex-Mex Squash Chicken Casserole

This is the first recipe of my stack of casseroles. I was actually looking for one I found in the summertime that I was waiting for the weather to turn colder to make and I lost it---but I found a whole bunch others so I can dwell on what might have been.


Hearty Tex-Mex Squash-Chicken Casserole
Borrowed from Southern Living

Ingredients
1 (10-ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed
3 medium-size yellow squash, thinly sliced
1 large red bell pepper, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
1 yellow onion, thinly sliced
2 tablespoons peanut oil --–I used EVOO---
3 cups shredded cooked chicken or turkey
12 (6-inch) corn tortillas, cut into 1-inch pieces ---I used Flour tortillas---
1 (10 3/4-ounce) can cream of celery soup, undiluted* --used regular full fat--
1 (8-ounce) container sour cream* ---used low fat---
1 (8-ounce) jar picante sauce ---I used ½ jar of salsa---
1 (4.5-ounce) can chopped green chiles, undrained
1 (1.4-ounce) envelope fajita seasoning
2 cups (8 ounces) shredded sharp Cheddar cheese, divided* --used regular---

Preparation
Drain chopped spinach well, pressing between paper towels to remove excess moisture.
Sauté squash, bell pepper, and onion in hot oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat 6 minutes or until tender.

Remove from heat.

Stir in spinach, chicken, next 6 ingredients, and 1 1/2 cups cheese.

Spoon into a lightly greased 13- x9-inch baking dish.
Bake at 350° for 30 minutes.

Sprinkle evenly with remaining 1/2 cup cheese, and bake 5 more minutes.
*Reduced-sodium, reduced-fat cream of celery soup, light sour cream, and reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese may be substituted.

VERDICT
Did you notice a bunch of substitutions. I even went to the store after I knew I was making this for dinner and somehow missed a few ingredients. No matter, I really liked it this way. The veggies get hidden and it has a nice little kick to it from the chiles. I was worried about the tortillas not working out but it was just great and I will make it the same way again. It was very hardy and I didn’t serve it with rice the way I had planned because you just didn’t need it. It was filling as is. The leftovers were great too which is the true sign of a great casserole. I had another picture but it got deleted somehow and I am too tired to go back now....take my word on how yummy it is. Would I steer you wrong?

No comments:

Post a Comment