Thursday, October 1, 2009

Italian Chicken Soup

I had such a day. It was a day filled with lots of sadness for the passing of a very special Aunt. It ended with a giant pot of soup. I really believe that soup can make everything better....some people say ice cream but I have to stand by soup. I stood in my kitchen with my Mia pounding away on my pots and pans and Jackson chatting my ear off while playing with playdough and I made my soup. And I felt better.


Damn this was good soup. I really wanted chicken noodle but I wanted beans and spinach---abra cadabra it worked. I am going to try this in the crock pot too I think. It is really hearty and thickens up really nicely. It seems like a lot of liquid but it gets absorbed into the chicken, veggie, beans and pasta. I made it with Ham & Provolone Melties (which is what we called any type of Grilled Sandwich.....stick that in your sammy Rachael Ray)
Italian Chicken Soup
Created by me

2 tbsp. olive oil
1 large onion diced
1 large carrot diced
2 stalks of celery diced
4 cloves of garlic minced
4 cups low sodium chicken stock
6 cups of water
2 large (raw) chicken breast cut into 3 large pieces or 2 cups rotisserie chicken shredded
2 Cans Cannelli Beans or any white bean
1 package of frozen chopped spinach thawed and drained
1 cup ditalini, tubeltini, achi de pepe, pastina---or any small pasta
½ cup parmesan cheese and more for serving
Salt & pepper to taste

-Heat Olive Oil in a Large Pot over medium heat.
-Add Onions, Carrot and Celery and cook until softened about 8-10 minutes.
-Add garlic and cook for 30 seconds
-Add Chicken Stock and Water and raise heat to high and bring to a boil and then lower temp to a simmer
-Add beans & chicken to the pot
*If it is raw let it simmer for about 5-7 minutes and then take it out and shred it –Don’t add back in yet
*If you used rotisserie just add it to the pot with the beans/veggies after the blender
-With a slotted spoon take out about 2 cups of beans and veggies
-Use a hand blender to blend the remaining soup or you can use a regular sized blender but you need to go get a hand blender and save time cleaning the stupid big blender
-Add Chicken and the Beans/Veggies back into the pot
-Raise temp to a boil and then add the pasta
-Let boil according to package directions. The pasta will soak up a lot of the liquid
-Once the pasta is boiled add the frozen spinach and cheese.
-Now eat

No comments:

Post a Comment