Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Zippy Turkey Bake

I loved this recipe. You know I LOVE any type of casserole. This one has a lot of flavor….one might say its “spicy”. The pepper jack cheese totally makes it. If you are concerned with the extra spice you could use cheddar but I really like it as is….well without the mushrooms of course---no fungus among us!!! The funny or (or not so funny in my mom world) is that Jackson loved it. I can’t get the kid to eat dinner most night for the past month but this he loved, ate without a fight and said it was delicious. Yep that’s a 2 year old for you. I have an apple crisp in the oven as I type this post so that should be following up this delightful casserole quite nicely.
Zippy Turkey Bake
Borrowed from Cooking This and That

Ingredients
1 1/3 pound package lean ground turkey—I used the package
1 1/2 tablespoons butter
3 medium zucchini or yellow squash, halved vertically and sliced
8 ounces sliced mushrooms—No fungus for me
1/4 cup sliced green onions
1 tablespoon chili powder
2 teaspoons salt
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
3 cups rice, cooked –--I used the family sized success boil in the bag brown rice. Not sure how much that measures out to be
2 (4-ounce) cans diced green chilies
1 cup sour cream
2 cups shredded Pepper Jack cheese

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Grease a 13 x 9 or two 8 x 8 baking dishes.
Cook turkey over medium heat in large skillet, drain.
Add butter, zucchini, mushrooms, and green onions; cook and stir until vegetables are tender. Drain if necessary.
Stir in chili powder, salt, and garlic powder.
Remove from heat.
If the skillet is big enough, add rice, green chilies, sour cream, and 1 cup shredded cheese to turkey mixture and stir to combine.
If not, add all ingredients to a large bowl and mix.
Turn mixture into baking dishes.
Sprinkle with remaining shredded cheese.
Bake uncovered for 20-25 minutes, until heated through and slightly bubbly.

Verdict
I guess I ruined the verdict in the 1st line of my post. Yeah I loved it. I wont lie. No need too. I will be making this one again for sure. I wasn’t so sure about it but I cant wait to eat the leftovers for lunch tomorrow. Perfect for a fall/winter night!

1 comment:

  1. SO glad you like this! And I totally wish I had some apple crisp to follow it!

    ReplyDelete