Sunday, January 31, 2010

Super Simple Cranberry Roast


This recipe has been edited with a new picture and a little tweaking.....scroll down to read the changes that totally make the dish



I am always looking for a crockpot recipe that makes me want to skip cooking and use the darn thing instead. In theory it always sounds like such a great replacement for me actually cooking but the results are always kind of underwhelming. You be the judge..........

Super Simple Cranberry Roast
borrowed from Crockpot 365
Ingredients
2-3 pounds beef or pork roast or stew chunks **I have used a roast beef & stew chunks**
1 tablespoon dried onion flakes, or 1 medium yellow onion, diced
2 tablespoons soy sauce (La Choy and Tamari wheat-free are gluten free)
2 (14-ounce) whole berry cranberry sauce

that's it!

The Directions.

Use a 4-quart slow cooker. Plop in the meat (frozen is fine), and add the onion and soy sauce. Pour in the entire can of cranberry sauce over the top. Do not add water. Cover and cook on low for 7-9 hours, or on high for 5-6. If you are cooking on high, you may need to "help" the meat break apart by taking it out an hour or so before serving by cutting it into chunks, then returning to the sauce. I like it when the meat is tender and the juice has fully soaked in.

Serve over mashed potatoes, or egg noodles

EDITED on 10/16/2011---I made this again today and I made some changes. I removed the meat from the slow cooker with a slotted spoon and covered it with foil to keep warm. I mixed 1 tablespoon of corn starch in with 1 tablespoon of water into the remaining sauce. I cranked the slow cooker up to high....NOW, the slow cooker was already keeping the food warm and had finished cooking so it was taking way to long to get hot again and boil the sauce to thicken. So I dumped it into a saucepan and boiled it down for a few minutes. THE SAUCE WAS PERFECTION---it was so much better then the first time. The sauce stuck to the noodles and it was so tasty I was trying to figure out what else I could put it on. It was a pain to dirty another pot but it was much faster, so you can really do it either way. Next time I am going to try it with pork.....

Verdict-I really liked the flavor of this dish. It had a little sweetness, but it wasnt overly sweet. The meat was really juicy and tender. Next time if I made it I would only change one thing. I would remove the juice from the crockpot and put it in a saucepan and add some cornstarch and reduce it a little bit. It was so thin that it didnt stick to the noodles and that would have made it even yummier. But if you are looking to use your crockpot I would give this recipe a try, its actually one of the only crockpot recipes I would make again

1 comment:

  1. This reminds me of my mom's brisket recipe which is basically the slab of meat roasted in onion soup mix and whole cranberry sauce. Yum!

    ReplyDelete