Saturday, January 23, 2010

Tomato & Spinach Tortellini Soup

A very lovely friend of mine Jaime made this soup for me and it was soooooo good. I of course asked for the recipe and then immediately messed it up and had to change it. The key to it was the tortellini. I mistakenly thought I didnt like it, but to my surprise the brand I always bought---Buttoni isnt very good and all tortellini shouldnt be judged the same. She got the most delicious ones from Costco and my 1st soup I had to use Buttoni and it wasnt so good but the 2nd batch I had visited Costco and I tell you they are the best tortellini. The pasta is nice and thin and they are little bands of cheesy yumminess.
This is such an easy soup but so good you wouldnt think so

Tomato & Spinach Tortellini Soup
from Jaime

Ingredients
Original Recipe-
1 onion sauté in olive oil until translucent.
Add 1 14 ozs. can of chicken broth
and 1 28 ozs. can of diced tomatoes-seasoned to taste
Simmer for 20 min

Add tortelloni or raviolis- cook according to package
Cut baby spinach into thin slices.
10 min before serving add spinach
Serve and enjoy! :)

I added
*2 minced garlic cloves with the onions
* I mistakenly added about 14 ozs. of crushed tomatoes instead of diced because I grabbed the wrong can, opened it and poured 1/2 in.
*SO I then added a 14 ozs can of diced tomatoes.
*THEN added 4 cups of broth (32 oz box) to thin out the crushed tomatoes
* Added 1 tsp of Italian Spice blend

I loved it both ways--My version is more thick and Jaime's is thinner. I think next time I will make it more like hers and actually look at the cans before I open them, but still add the garlic and the spices. My version would be good if you just ate it on its own, but with the tortellini it was kind of like a sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment