I make this all the time, but for some reason it hasnt made it onto the blog yet. Which I realized when I went searching for it and couldnt find it. These beans are awesome....if beans can be awesome. You could use them in so many other dishes that I usually make them as a side dish for just simple tacos or tostadas.
Golden Chicken with Refried Beans
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 pound chicken tenders
- 3 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, chopped** I dont always use, dont really need it**
- 2 15-ounce cans white beans, rinsed
- 3/4 cup canned diced tomatoes with green chiles, or tomato salsa**I use Mild Rotel and its just spicy enough**
- 1/4 cup shredded Monterey Jack or Cheddar cheese
- Combine cumin, coriander, pepper and salt in a medium bowl. Add chicken and toss to coat.
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet or grill pan over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and saute/grill until golden brown and just cooked through, 2 to 4 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate and cover to keep warm.
- Reduce heat to medium and add the remaining 1 teaspoon oil to the pan. Add onion and jalapeno and cook until beginning to soften, 1 to 2 minutes. Add beans, tomatoes (or salsa) and any accumulated juices from the chicken; cook, stirring often, until heated through, about 3 minutes. Transfer the bean mixture to a medium bowl and mash with a potato masher until creamy but still slightly chunky. Stir in cheese. Serve with the chicken.hI added some chopped Avocado, Corn and Tomato with a few squirts of lime and a pinch of salt. I took a corn tortilla and sprayed it with Pam and then warmed it until slightly crisp in my non-stick pan.
VERDICT: Make these beans!!!! I love them. You could eat them with chips they are so yummy. Its great to be able to make them yourself and keep them healthier then eating them from a can or making them full of fat. The chicken is good too, but the beans are the star of the show for sure