Monday, April 5, 2010

Spinach Quiche

In my effort to make more vegetarian meals I decided to throw a quiche in the mix. I saw the crust in the store and was inspired but had no recipes on hand so I figured I would take the crust home and see what I had in the house. Luckily I had all the fixin's for this recipe. It will now be featured heavily in the rotation. I wont make you wait until the verdict....you have a brunch....you make this quiche...you are a rock star. I do apologize for this horrible picture. I meant to go back and take a nice picture of it all dished out. I forgot that night since I was going out on the town with the ladies and only picked at this yumminess with a fork, then I forgot the other 2 times I ate leftovers.....so this lame pic is what you are stuck with. Click on the link and see what it can look like.....or just trust me because I am the expert.
Spinach Quiche
adapted from Allrecipes.com
INGREDIENTS:
3 TbSP. Butter
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1 small onion, chopped
1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped
spinach, thawed and drained
1 (4.5 ounce) can mushrooms, drained**I omitted**
1 cup crumbled feta
1 (8 ounce) package shredded Cheddar
cheese
salt and pepper to taste
2 (9 inch) unbaked deep dish pie crust
8 eggs, beaten
2 cup milk
salt and pepper to taste
MAKES 2 QUICHE
DIRECTIONS:
1.Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
2.In a medium skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Saute garlic and onion in butter until lightly browned, about 7 minutes. Stir in spinach, mushrooms, feta and 1/2 cup Cheddar cheese. Season with salt and pepper. Split mixture in half and put into pie crust.
3.In a medium bowl, whisk together 4 eggs and 1 cup milk. Season with salt and pepper. Pour mixture into each pastry shell, allowing egg mixture to thoroughly combine with spinach mixture. Easier to do this twice instead of trying to split the mixture evenly.
4.Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes. Sprinkle top with remaining Cheddar cheese, and bake an additional 35 to 40 minutes, until set in center. Allow to stand 10 minutes before serving.

VEDICT: FANTASTIC!!!! I dont know how the recipe would have been as is, but I followed some of the reviewers suggestions and it came out great. I do think there would have been too much mixture if you used the measurements they had listed in only one 9 inch pie crust. It made much better sense and taste to split it between 2, especially since the crust is sold in a 2 pack. It was great that night, it was great the next 2 days. It was so flavorful and the feta with spinach is such a great flavor combo. You could easily make this ahead and then reheat and it would be the perfect addition to any brunch buffet.

No comments:

Post a Comment