Monday, June 21, 2010

Spring Vegetable Couscous with Chicken

Well, Its the 1st day of summer and I am posting about Spring Vegetables...oopsie. I actually made this recipe a long time ago but never posted about it because it wasnt on the website yet to copy and paste and I am an admitted slacker. But it was so good I didnt want to forget it and not post.

Spring Vegetables with Couscous and Chicken
borrowed from Everyday Foods May 2010

INGREDIENTS:

2 tablespoons unsalted butter

4 scallions, white and green parts separated and thinly sliced crosswise

2 wide strips lemon zest, plus 2 tablespoon lemon juice

Coarse salt and ground pepper

1 pound asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1/2-inch pieces

1/2 cup frozen peas

1 cup whole wheat couscous

meat from 1 rotisserie chicken, torn into bite-size pieces

2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley—I omit

DIRECTIONS:

In a medium saucepan ( I use my giant high sided skillet with cover), melt butter over medium-high.

Add scallion whites and cook, stirring constantly, until softened, about 3 minutes.

Add lemon zest and 1 1/4 cups water and season with salt and pepper.

Cover pan and bring liquid to a boil, then add asparagus and peas.

Return to a boil and stir in couscous.

Add chicken and remove pan from heat; cover and let sit 7 minutes.

Add lemon juice and parsley and season with salt and pepper.

Fluff couscous with a fork and serve.

VERDICT:

This is a recipe that I have to make sure to remember and make often. It was really simple and it was such a great combo of flavors. I love one pan meals and you know how I love my rotisserie chicken. I used a small lemon and next time will make sure I add a little more lemon juice to have it be a little more lemony because I can't get enough of lemon flavoring. This was such a great meal, I will have to thank Martha if I ever meet her.

No comments:

Post a Comment