Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Greek Grilled Chicken and Vegetables with Pita

I started taking a photography class to learn how to take better pictures. Admittedly I used to take much better pictures for the blog, but I am always in such a rush I dont have time to make things look as pretty as I used too. I dont use the different colored plates anymore either. Maybe I will try to make that my 2nd year resolution. I truly do this blog for myself so the pictures dont really matter to me. I have had so many awesome recipes that I just dont want to lose any of them. I am much more selective then I used to be when posting. Only the truly great recipes seem to make it on, because it isnt worth my time if it was just eh. This one sadly has such a bad picture. I only took one when I had about 6 minutes to eat, grab my camera and drive to class in the pouring rain. Note to reader. DONT eat this salad if you are going to be in public. I used a ton of garlic and it STUNK!!!! But it was OH so worth every stinky bit.

Greek Grilled Chicken and Vegetables with Pita
borrowed from Rachael Ray via Food Network

Ingredients

  • 1 1/3 to 1 1/2 pounds chicken breast tenders, 2 packages from meat case
  • Salt and pepper
  • 8 pita breads
  • 1 ripe lemon, zested and juiced
  • 3 tablespoon red wine vinegar, eyeball it
  • 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil, eyeball it ***I used maybe 1/4 cup***
  • 2 tablespoons fresh chopped oregano, 4 stems, stripped of leaves and chopped
  • 3 cloves garlic, chopped
  • 2 hearts Romaine lettuce, chopped
  • 1/2 cup pitted Kalamata olives, coarsely chopped
  • 8 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
  • 2 vine ripe tomatoes, seeded and diced
  • 1/3 seedless or English cucumber, diced
  • 1/2 red onion, chopped
  • 1/2 cup flat leaf parsley leaves, a couple of handfuls, chopped **I omitted**

Directions

Preheat grill pan over high heat. Place chicken in shallow dish and season with salt and pepper.

Preheat oven to 275 degrees F. Wrap pita breads in foil. Place in warm oven and heat until dinner is served.

Combine lemon zest, juice and vinegar in a bowl and whisk in oil. Add oregano, garlic and whisk again to combine into dressing. Pour half the dressing over chicken tenders. Turn tenders in dressing to coat.

Combine remaining salad ingredients in a bowl. Pour remaining dressing over salad and toss well. The salad should be very lightly dressed. Season salad with salt and pepper and transfer to a large serving platter.

Grill tenders 4 to 5 minutes on each side. Transfer hot tenders to the salad lined serving platter. Remove pitas from oven and unwrap. Cut pitas in half and arrange around the edge of platter.

To serve, each person can pile grilled chicken and veggies into pita halves, wrap up on either side and enjoy!


VERDICT

OH MY......Delicious. This was such a yummy meal. I am sad I ate it so fast I didnt enjoy it. But I will be making it again soon. As I have said before I tend to reduct the oil in my dressings to cut some of the fat. I also like things on the more vinegary side then oily. So far I have never been sorry I did this. I also used fresh herbs for the dressing and on the chicken and I think it really punched the flavor. My store just started carrying small single size fresh herbs for $1, so it doesnt bother me as much to toss out what I didnt use. But I used them entire thing on the chicken and I think it was worth the fresh oregano. This whole meal was really perfect for me. The salty, vinegar flavor was oh so good. This would be a great casual meal to make for a crowd.

1 comment:

  1. This looks incredible. I am making it for dinner this week- thanks for the great recipe. I really enjoy your blog and have been digging through it for more great ideas!

    ReplyDelete