Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Thai Chicken Salad with Peanut Dressing

This was not supposed to be featured on my weekly menu until Wednesday but I had an issue with Meatless Monday's main ingredient, the Spaghetti Squash. WHAT THE HECK? I was going to cause some permanent damage to myself had I continued hacking into this thing. It was solid as a rock and I was sweating and barely made a dent. I just dont get it? I carve pumpkins with the best of them...what's the deal with this darn squash? I am even more curious now to try it. So instead we had this salad that is featured in this month's cooking light magazine


Thai Chicken Salad with Peanut Dressing
4 servings
**** 7 Weight Watcher Points Plus****

6 cups torn romaine lettuce

2 cups shredded skinless, boneless rotisserie chicken breast

2 cups fresh bean sprouts

1 cup shredded carrots

3/4 cup sliced celery

2/3 cup light coconut milk

1 tablespoon brown sugar

2 tablespoons creamy peanut butter

1 tablespoon fresh lime juice

2 tablespoons lower-sodium soy sauce

1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper

2 tablespoons coarsely chopped unsalted, dry-roasted peanuts

4 lime wedges (optional)

Combine first 5 ingredients in a large bowl. Combine coconut milk and next 5 ingredients (through red pepper)

in a small saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer for 5 minutes or until mixture thickens slightly, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat, and cool for 2 minutes. Pour warm coconut milk mixture over lettuce mixture.

Sprinkle with peanuts; serve with lime wedges, if desired. Serve immediately.

VERDICT: LOVED the dressing. I am already trying to figure out what else I can put it on. I need to figure out the points for the dressing alone, because between the 2 of us, we finished the dressing. The salad just needed it. It was a great salad though, and the dressing was the star of the show. I can imagine the full fat version would make me shudder but this is a great alternative. Next time I will leave out the bean shoots, I liked them cooked up in lomein, but in the salad they were just bleh. And I might saute or grill some chicken with some seasonings instead of using rotisserie which I am always a fan of, but I felt the chicken needed a little kick also. It came together really quickly, even with cooking up the dressing, but it was so tasty and so worth it, I will make this again for sure.

2 comments:

  1. I use a meat cleaver to get into big squash like that. I hack into the cavity, then use a chef's knife to pry it open. I am always very afraid I'm going to take off a finger!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I think I am going to try to roast it whole next time and then cut it in half. No squash could be that good I am willing to lose a limb

    ReplyDelete