Monday, March 28, 2011

Taco Soup

I have been on Weight Watchers since January 8th (my birthday), and I finally broke into the double digits this weekend. Down 12 pounds. I had a few weeks where I was stuck, but after tweaking things I am back on the right track. I am looking to make a permanent lifestyle change, and WW has taught me how to eat like a "normal" health minded person. I thought I was eating and cooking well before, but I have learned so much more about portion sizes, and hidden carb/sugar traps I never thought about before. I have made this soup probably once a month since being on the program. It makes so much that by the time I am done eating it, I am good for another 3 weeks or so. I never get sick of it though. It's quick, easy, no effort, low points and filling. If you follow WW, you know you cant ask for more then that.
Taco Soup
borrowed & slightly adapted from Our Best Bites
serving size 1 1/2 cups
***4 WW Points Plus***

1 lb. extra lean ground beef (93% lean or or leaner)

1 onion, chopped

4-5 cloves garlic, minced

1 1.25-oz. packet taco seasoning (about 1/4 c.)

3 c. water, divided (I use chicken broth)

2 28-oz. cans diced tomatoes (I only use 28 total ozs of petite diced tomatoes--I like petite better)

1 15-oz. can tomato sauce

2 15-oz. cans kidney beans, rinsed and drained

1 can corn, drained ( I use1 cup of frozen)

Toppings: Pico de Gallo, light sour cream, shredded cheese, crushed tortilla chips, tortilla strips, guacamole, etc.---obviously add your points accordingly if you are a WW follower. I typically eat it with Garden of Eden Yellow Corn Tortilla Chips, for 12 chips is 4 points, but for 8 points its a great lunch!

Heat a large soup pot over medium. When ready, brown the ground beef with the onion and garlic. When almost brown, add the taco seasoning and 1 c. water. Add the remaining ingredients, including the remaining 2 c. water, bring to a medium boil, then, cover and reduce heat. Simmer for at least 15 minutes. Serve with desired toppings. Makes 10 12-oz. servings.

Slow Cooker Instructions: After browning the meat, place all the ingredients into a slow cooker and cook on low for about 6-8 hours.

Freezer Instructions: Because of all the canned goods, you’ll just take up a lot of space in your freezer if you freeze the whole recipe. However, after it’s been cooked, the leftovers freeze extremely well. You can even try freezing individual portions in 12-oz. freezer-safe containers and then reheating them for a quick lunch.


No comments:

Post a Comment