Sunday, April 10, 2011

Black Bean & Veggie Enchiladas

I am trying to serve more vegetarian meals in my kitchen. I could never ever go vegan, I like cheese too much, but to eliminate some of the meat and still keep the protein seems totally possible for us.
I made such a mess out of this meal. I dont know why but I was hungry, rushing and it was a disaster. The picture is horrible. I am sorry. I was SO Hungry, that I literally plopped it on the plate and took 1 picture and that was that. I would try again with the leftovers but the 1 1/2 that wasnt eaten was smushed into a tiny container, folded over onto itself so that doesnt look too hot either. But dont let that stop you from making these. They were SO delicious. It took me awhile to figure out how to lower the points a little. The cheese was killing me. I wanted to be true to the recipe, but I also didnt want to have one serving be so high. I think I did a good job of keeping the flavors good, having it be cheesy goodness, but the points low.
Black Bean & Veggie Enchiladas
adapted from Dinner From a Year and Beyond
serves 6
***8 WW Points Plus***

Ingredients

1 1/2 teaspoons cumin

1/4 teaspoon chili powder

1/4 cup flour

1/4 cup tomato paste

1 (14 - ounce) can vegetable stock, reduced sodium

1/2 teaspoon kosher salt

1 teaspoons canola oil

3/4 cup red pepper, small dice

1 cup zucchini, small dice

4 ozs. grated pepper jack cheese

1 ½ cup grated reduced fat sharp cheddar cheese

1 (15 - ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed

3/4 cup corn kernels

3 scallions, thinly sliced

6 low fat/carb flour tortillas (2 pts)

To make the enchilada sauce, in a small saucepan, combine cumin, chili powder, flour, and tomato paste. Whisk to combine and cook for about 1 minute. Gradually whisk in stock, salt, and 3/4 cup water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 3 - 5 minutes or until the sauce is slightly thickened. Remove from heat and set aside.

Heat a saute pan to medium high heat and add the canola oil. Add the red pepper and zucchini and saute for about 3 - 5 minutes. Remove from heat and place in a large bowl. Cool slightly. Add the pepper jack cheese, 1 cup of cheddar cheese, black beans, corn, and scallions and stir to combine.

To assemble enchiladas, spray a 9 x 13 inch baking dish with cooking spray. Dip tortillas, one at a time, in the sauce. Place on a cutting board and fill with about 1 cup of the filling. Roll up tortilla and place seam side down in baking dish. Continue filling and rolling the remaining tortillas. Pour the sauce over the enchiladas and top with the remaining 1/2 cup of cheddar cheese.

At this point, the enchiladas can be baked, refrigerated for up to 2 days, or frozen. To bake, place uncovered dish in a preheated 400 degree oven for 15 - 20 minutes until the cheese is melted and the enchiladas are heated through.

No comments:

Post a Comment