Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Chicken Enchilada Soup

Aside from being addicted to food, I also have a slight addiction to buying cookbooks. I have SO MANY. I never use them either. That is the weird part. They sit on the book shelf, they sit in the closet, they are hidden in lots of nooks and crannys of my house. This past month I got 2--Hungry Girl 300 under 300 and Ellie Kreiger Foods You Crave. So far I have tried a handful of recipes from both and I am really happy with my purchases. Stayed tuned for my results and recipes

I got the Hungry Girl cookbook from Costco and even though there are no pictures, I wanted to try it out. You can see pics on her webpage and she converts everything to WW points on her site, so that was helpful. But she does use a lot of weird ingredients and she doesnt season her food enough for me. I kick up every single recipe because they tend to be on the bland side. Or maybe I just am used to big flavor? Either way, I have made this soup twice in 3 weeks. It is my new favorite lunch and I plan to make it again as soon as I can get a rotisserie chicken. I did change the recipe after the 1st time I made it. It was very bland and the celery didnt get tender. I like my version :)


The Whole Enchilada Chicken Soup
adapted from Hungry Girl
serving size 1 Cup
****3 WW Points Plus****

Ingredients

3 cups fat-free chicken broth

1-1/4 cups finely chopped celery

1/2 cup diced sweet onion

3 cups green enchilada sauce

1 15oz. can pure pumpkin

1 tsp. chili powder

½ tsp cumin

10 oz. cooked boneless skinless lean chicken breast, chopped or shredded

1 cup frozen corn

dash of hot sauce

In a large pot coated with cooking spray saute celery and onion until slightly tender. Add chicken broth and simmer for about 5 minutes. Stir in enchilada sauce, spices and pumpkin. When soup returns to a low boil, add chicken and corn and mix well Cook for 3 to 5 minutes more until soup is heated. Add a dash of hot sauce, if you like. Serve and top with cheese and/or chips for extra points

No comments:

Post a Comment