Friday, April 22, 2011

Sausage Risotto Skillet

I have been staring at these sausages in my fridge for a few weeks now. I got them in Costco because they were only 5 WW points each and I figured I could do something great with them. But until I was left with no other dinner options I finally decided to take them on.
The irony of this meal is I literally threw it together in about 20 minutes, I had no idea what I was doing until I did it, and my husband LOVED it. I spend hours making something and its just eh.....but this I throw together and its great. Go figure!

You can use any kind of pre-cooked chicken sausage in this dish. Next time I am going to add some fresh spinach too.


Sausage Risotto Skillet--this recipe has been edited. I mistakenly said to put the rice in before the onions but its actually the other way around. I realized this while making it again tonight--I am SO SORRY!
serves 6
****7 WW Points Plus****
Ingredients
One pkg. (5 Links) (1 lb) Roasted Red Pepper & Spinach Chicken Sausage diced (3 pts each)
1 clove garlic, minced
1 1/2 cups rice, uncooked
1 cup onions, chopped
2 1/2 cups chicken broth
1 tsp basil
1/2 cup reduced fat feta

Directions

Dice chicken sausage into 1/2" pieces.

Heat a large skillet.

Add chicken sausage and cook over medium heat stirring constantly until pieces are browned

Remove chicken sausage from skillet

Add the onions

Add rice and garlic to skillet and cook stirring constantly until rice is lightly browned

Continue cooking until onions are tender

Stir in chicken broth and basil

Bring to a boil; cover and simmer for about 15 minutes.

Gently stir in chicken sausage and continue simmering until rice is tender.

Mix in feta cheese and remove from heat.

No comments:

Post a Comment