Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Greek-Style Stuffed Peppers

It's an Ellie K--Trifecta
I have really been enjoying my new cookbook (if you couldn't tell). I also made a recipe this weekend and forgot to snap a picture so this is actually the 4th recipe not the 3rd, but I if there is no picture, it doesn't count in my blogworld.
Have I ever mentioned I don't read recipes very clearly? I was trying to figure out the WW points for this one and realized I messed it up. WHEN will I learn to stop and read. The tomatoes went unchopped but no one noticed.....obviously :) It is truly amazing that with 2 kids who want to "help" or fight, or need help with a lego tower, or are in dire straits for more juice that I even get dinner on the table at a reasonable hour.
My baby boy is turning 4 in June and he is trying to give up naps much to my resistance. Also Ms. Winfrey is going to stop keeping me busy from 4-5pm everyday so I think dinner time prep and mealtime might get pushed up a bit because there will be no napping or Oprah for me pretty soon. It was a good run while it lasted, and it will certainly make the mad rush to get dinner on the table a little easier.

So here is my latest EK creation..........When I put the cookbook nutritional info into my WW calculator it figured them out as 10 points per 1/2. I did make a change and used reduced fat cheese and I used 93% lean meat. I was afraid that only 1 half of the pepper wouldn't be filling enough. Turns out it was extremely filling and when I figured out it was only 4 WW points when you took each ingredient into the recipe builder, I was thrilled that something so filling is only 4 points--HOLY COW, 4 POINTS!!! Oh and this was my 1st time using Bulgar in a recipe. It was interesting. A little grainy but good. For the extra protein I would definitely us it again


Greek-Style Stuffed Peppers
slightly adapted from Ellie Krieger
****4 WW Points Plus****
Serves 6

Ingredients

1 pound lean ground beef

1 (10-ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry

1 medium zucchini, coarsely grated (about 2 cups)

1 small onion, minced (about 1 cup)

1/2 cup Bulgar

1 egg, lightly beaten

1/2 teaspoon dried oregano

1/2 teaspoon salt

Freshly ground black pepper

3 red bell peppers, halved lengthwise, cores and ribs removed

2 (14 1/2-ounce) cans low-sodium stewed tomatoes, finely chopped

1/3 cup crumbled feta cheese

Directions

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

In a large bowl combine the beef, spinach, zucchini, onion, Bulgar, egg, oregano, salt and a few grinds of pepper. Mix until thoroughly combined.

Arrange the pepper halves cut side up in a 9 by 13-inch baking dish and fill each pepper half with the meat mixture. Pour the tomatoes over the peppers and sprinkle with the feta cheese. Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake until the meat mixture is completely cooked and the peppers are tender, about 25 minutes longer.

VERDICT--YUMMY! Easy to make and really tasty. I think next time I will need to chop the tomatoes up because the meat needed the extra moisture on top. I might even spoon it over through out the cooking time so it soaks in. I spooned a bunch out of the baking dish and put it on top and it was very tasty that way. For a couple of extra points I might mix in some extra feta cheese too. It could also use a little more spice. Chopped Garlic next time for sure. All in all, I will happily eat the leftovers for lunch tomorrow

No comments:

Post a Comment